Clone saw FYI

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brownjeremy56

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Like some people I build clone Stihl and husqvarna saws. Most of us clone builders want to make a good quality saw, but understand certain parts in these kits are poor quality. The name of the game is to replace the cheap parts with OEM.

In the past I have replaced crank bearings with OEM, wrist pin bearings with OEM, pull cord with a cobra cord, decomp valves with OEM. Sometimes the piston wrist pin C clips are not great. Anyhow, that’ll usually get you a long lasting discount clone... but here’s a new one. (For me)

Stihl MS440 clone
f2291eb33369efd7ceb853696c6137c2.jpg

Husqvarna 372xp clone
7606160334f3b2484da53f457a72d5fa.jpg

Both kits came with undersized bar side crank seals. Just a heads up for anyone doing this stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like some people I build clone Stihl and husqvarna saws. Most of us clone builders want to make a good quality saw, but understand certain parts in these kits are poor quality. The name of the game is to replace the cheap parts with OEM.

In the past I have replaced crank bearings with OEM, wrist pin bearings with OEM, pull cord with a cobra cord, decomp valves with OEM. Sometimes the piston wrist pin C clips are not great. Anyhow, that’ll usually get you a long lasting discount clone... but here’s a new one. (For me)

Stihl MS440 clone
f2291eb33369efd7ceb853696c6137c2.jpg

Husqvarna 372xp clone
7606160334f3b2484da53f457a72d5fa.jpg

Both kits came with undersized bar side crank seals. Just a heads up for anyone doing this stuff.

If I am not mistaken the 440 is going to be under sized due to a bushing that goes on the crank.
Yes.
The couple 044 clone kits I have made I thought that as well & made a fuss to farmertech about it... OEM parts are identical, as I found after buying some OEM from a dealership locally not wishing to wait for farmertech to send them.
but there's a bushing that slips in there on the crank side and corrects that.
Not the same as the 660 kits IIRC.

My error -- it looks like on the MS441 at least that the two oil seals are different part numbers. Likely that's true on the MS 440 as well.

I’ve got the blue clone at the house and recently repaired both sides seals. They are different sizes thus different numbers

Latest posts

Back