Closed Port for Husky 50, 51 or 55?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice!

also nice to know re cs590/600/620 power characteristics. Since I have a 20" bar on mine (and don't plan to change) your testing should be indicative of my use.

thanks!

Don't know about "de-tuned" but my 262XP was a great running saw. Some will say if you had the Husqvarna top end with the compression release they weren't as fast as the other variety. Didn't want to make me go out and bury it in the back yard, but I didn't use it much once I picked up the Echo 600P. My 600P is an early model and doesn't share the same top end and limited coil as the CS-590's. Since I own all three, the CS-590, CS-600P and CS-620PW (X series) I can tell anyone reading this that there really isn't a lot of power difference between all of them. I've ran them (test cuts in the same log) with the same bar and chain back to back and the differences between all of them are very minor and hardly noticed. The problem with my testing is that I should have moved up to a 24" or even 27" bar and a much bigger log. I made cut after cut after cut the day of the testing and really only a slight difference between each one.

Many open port 55 Ranchers came with 20" bars and 3/8" chain set-ups. They are far better suited to .325" and 18" bars....IMHO. They don't have the power to effectively pull 3/8" and certainly not a 20" bar. Still excellent saws and plenty of them still around getting it done. I've tried to find 55 EPA saws with the CP P/C's a few times and most are seized or have some material smeared over the rings and down on compression. I got really lucky with my first CP 55 and was able to clean it up. The second had an oil leak and loose muffler but perfect P/C. I bought several others and they were JUNK so quit chasing them on Ebay and settled for two good ones. At the same time I had two 51's, and two really nice 55 Ranchers in the inventory and one by one sold them off.

I never once did any timed cutting between the 55 CP and open port saws but it doesn't take a rocket scientist and test lab to know the CP version is stronger in the cut. They just have a peaky power curve and love high RPM's. The open port versions have a wider RPM range and smoother power curve but not as fast as the CP's. I also have one of the cleanest 50 Specials in existence. My brother-in-law purchased it new to cut down three small trees in his back yard then put it away. Sadly he passed away and I inherited the saw a few years ago. His wife had carried it to a dealer and they told her it sat too long with fuel in it and was "junk". To my surprise there was nothing wrong with it and it roared to life after a dozen or so pulls and ran flawlessly. I put it back in storage and haven't looked at it in years. Maybe if I ever wear out one of these 55's I'll start using it, but it doesn't appear that's likely to happen anytime soon.........
View attachment 945550View attachment 945551View attachment 945552
I agree, 20 x 3/8 is ridiculous, 18 x .325 is perfect balance. 20 x .325 is nose heavy and awkward. One guy I sold a 50 to is running 3/8 x 16 and that's understandable. The 3/8 holds up better in hedge. Another 50 I sold, he's running .325 x 16. The starters are a weak point on these saws after you bump the compression.

Don't know about "de-tuned" but my 262XP was a great running saw. Some will say if you had the Husqvarna top end with the compression release they weren't as fast as the other variety. Didn't want to make me go out and bury it in the back yard, but I didn't use it much once I picked up the Echo 600P. My 600P is an early model and doesn't share the same top end and limited coil as the CS-590's. Since I own all three, the CS-590, CS-600P and CS-620PW (X series) I can tell anyone reading this that there really isn't a lot of power difference between all of them. I've ran them (test cuts in the same log) with the same bar and chain back to back and the differences between all of them are very minor and hardly noticed. The problem with my testing is that I should have moved up to a 24" or even 27" bar and a much bigger log. I made cut after cut after cut the day of the testing and really only a slight difference between each one.

Many open port 55 Ranchers came with 20" bars and 3/8" chain set-ups. They are far better suited to .325" and 18" bars....IMHO. They don't have the power to effectively pull 3/8" and certainly not a 20" bar. Still excellent saws and plenty of them still around getting it done. I've tried to find 55 EPA saws with the CP P/C's a few times and most are seized or have some material smeared over the rings and down on compression. I got really lucky with my first CP 55 and was able to clean it up. The second had an oil leak and loose muffler but perfect P/C. I bought several others and they were JUNK so quit chasing them on Ebay and settled for two good ones. At the same time I had two 51's, and two really nice 55 Ranchers in the inventory and one by one sold them off.

I never once did any timed cutting between the 55 CP and open port saws but it doesn't take a rocket scientist and test lab to know the CP version is stronger in the cut. They just have a peaky power curve and love high RPM's. The open port versions have a wider RPM range and smoother power curve but not as fast as the CP's. I also have one of the cleanest 50 Specials in existence. My brother-in-law purchased it new to cut down three small trees in his back yard then put it away. Sadly he passed away and I inherited the saw a few years ago. His wife had carried it to a dealer and they told her it sat too long with fuel in it and was "junk". To my surprise there was nothing wrong with it and it roared to life after a dozen or so pulls and ran flawlessly. I put it back in storage and haven't looked at it in years. Maybe if I ever wear out one of these 55's I'll start using it, but it doesn't appear that's likely to happen anytime soon.........
View attachment 945550View attachment 945551View attachment 945552
Very nice Husky 50.
On the decomps. I plug them as long as the starter can take it and I'm able to pull it.

I agree on the testing.
I try to cut hardwood only and big enough to burn the bar. Plus use the same bar and chain.
I just published a YT vid a few days ago about my ported 046 vs my MS462. Both with the same 32" bar and chain buried in Red Oak. It made for a good test.

"also nice to know re cs590/600/620 power characteristics. Since I have a 20" bar on mine (and don't plan to change) your testing should be indicative of my use."

I'd also mention that over the years of production Echo made changes to those saws. If you look in the IPL's by serial number range you'll notice that there are different carbs, coils, mufflers, P/C's etc, that were changed on each model.

I guess with that said no one should assume that all CS-600P's are the same power, for example. From what I saw in the IPL's early 600P's used a completely different P/C than the later ones. The later ones share the same P/C as the CS-590's. One also has to wonder how much power difference they would really have anyhow, as all are basically the same design and same displacement. Adding a slightly bigger carb and unlimited coil would have a minimum impact on power and cutting speed without either adding more displacement, compression, or greatly improved porting, or combinations of all of the above. At the end of the day they are all still 60cc saws on the same basic platform sharing many of the same parts.

They have replaced my older saws at this point. Not because they are really better anyplace but for sure they have FULL parts support, full of professional features and very easy to work on........

But is a closed port faster cutting in an 18 in bar full of hardwood? I have a good running open port 55 and was wondering myself if it was worth the expense to go to a 55 closed port piston/cylinder.
Closed port cylinders are typically 10% more powerful than open ports.

Back