Clutch inspection

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Show us the teeth of the sprocket first.
You show me yours and I’ll show you mine!

The reason I mention the clutch cup/drum/spur sprocket thing ‘stretching’ was because it was a not-uncommon issue we used to have with our STIHL MS250s.

The sprocket teeth still had lots of life in them, and you did not notice distortion (several thousandths?), but it was enough to cause slippage

Philbert

Here's a picture of the sprocket. I didn't want to disassemble the hub again. Hope you can see from this picture. I've seen sprockets with a groove cut in them from the chain drivers. This hub doesn't have any sign of that.

I went ahead and put a new chain on it. 12 inch chain with four broken teeth. Time to get rid of it?

On a side, does anyone have any good ideas of what to do with old chain? I hate throwing things away!

Attachments

• 20220520_142050.jpg
    20220520_142050.jpg
    994.8 KB · Views: 0
does anyone have any good ideas of what to do with old chain? I hate throwing things away!
Probably best to just recycle it. If the new chain is the exact same make and model, you can save it for parts. Do you have the tools to splice chain? Otherwise, just throw it into a box with a bunch of other chainsaw related stuff, like the rest of us. People will find it curious at our estate sales.

Philbert

Here's a picture of the sprocket. I didn't want to disassemble the hub again. Hope you can see from this picture. I've seen sprockets with a groove cut in them from the chain drivers. This hub doesn't have any sign of that.

I went ahead and put a new chain on it. 12 inch chain with four broken teeth. Time to get rid of it?

On a side, does anyone have any good ideas of what to do with old chain? I hate throwing things away!
25:1!!!!

Maybe you should try synthetic!25to1.JPG

Yeah, I used 25:1 for a year or so, and I've gradually decreased oil to where it's about 40:1. I'll try and get some pics of the cylinder and piston to see if it really needed 25:1, or if that resulted in a lot of carbon buildup.

Yeah, I used 25:1 for a year or so, and I've gradually decreased oil to where it's about 40:1. I'll try and get some pics of the cylinder and piston to see if it really needed 25:1, or if that resulted in a lot of carbon buildup.
I was just joking a bit.

I like to start oil threads then leave.

Thanks for the observations, guys. Yeah, skeet. I had not noticed that broken tooth. Looked closer and saw that 4 teeth were broken off. That might explain why it was getting hung up in the cuts. That's the original chain, and some of the teeth were getting really tiny. I checked the drum with a micrometer and it still seems to be round. Guess I'll slap a new chain on it and see if that clears up the problem.
If you had not noticed broken cutters, I also suspect you are not sharpening often enough, too?

Latest posts

Back