Coil grief

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Had a problem with the Husqvarna 257/262 conversion saw that I built. It wouldn't hold a tune even after a carb rebuild, and seemed to change from day to day or even minute to minute. Longest it stayed in tune it was about 15 minutes, there was just no consistency.
Well finally after the saw had a good heat soaking, I had my answer. The saw quit and would only run for a second when I tried to fire it up again. Letting it cool down it started right up and ran fine, so I had my answer, a bad coil.
Because the coil kept on changing output, it seemed to be the tune, as sometimes it would rev, and sometimes it wouldn't, and sometimes didn't want to hold an idle.
The coil was made by Ducati, and I've read that other people on this forum have had problems with those coils. Had a spare one off of a Husqvarna 50 lying around, this one was made by Electrolux. Swapped it in and it fired right up, no more of the occasional kickback during starting (which should have tipped me off) and now running as it should.
Spent a lot of frustrating time chasing this thing because I thought it was a tuning issue. It shows the value of having a spare coil around, it was a quick fix compared to the time I wasted.

Now I know that if my 257 ever needs a new coil, I can use the one on my 50 to repair that. However, I fixed the 50 last week and now it really wants me to use it. How can I turn it down? That 50 runs very well now and has surprising power for its weight. Gasp!

Went through 2 tanks of gas on the saw today, other than some fine tuning as the saw continued to break in there were no issues. The good coil didn't have the 90 degree bend on the ground wire connector coming out of it, but with a bit of modding there was enough clearance that it didn't cause an issue.
I also have a 50 and a 50/55 big bore conversion. Very simple and good running saws, my favorite to work on. No ideas what the coils are on those 2, but they have been trouble free. Wish the 257 had the all the parts available that those saws did.

Back