coil id on briggs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustymaggot

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
i searched for rototiller threads and didnt find what i need. i have a craftsman rototiller i believe 78-79 era(correct me if im wrong). the coil is bad(wires corroded and fell off of it) and im trying to id the engine to order a coil. points are unknown so im planning to replace with a chip. i should have taken pics of the coil while i had it apart, but i forgot to do it. i reassembled things so i didnt lose parts. i can get coil pics later in the week. if someone could help me figure out where the engines model stamp is, or happens o know what coil it needs, that could help me lot. edit to add- i couldnt find the parts using the sears number but its 241 298750 3427

Attachments

• tiller1.jpg
    tiller1.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 8
  • tiller2.jpg
    tiller2.jpg
    233.4 KB · Views: 8
I would think that any points b&s the coil would be the same. Not much has ever changed on those things, just finding the part # to a 70's 5hp briggs might be tough. I have a 5hp Montgomery wards tiller with a 5hp, I will look it over and see if I can get any part#'s off it when I find out where it is

The ID numbers on them old 5hp briggs is sometimes stamped into the metal air cowling and to see such you have to remove the air cowling and look at the area that is up behind the gas tank on the cowling. You may have to use a magnafying glass to read the stampings because they are painted over. Most of them can take the electronic magneto , just cut off the points wire and rig the kill wire to the electronic coil or just choke to kill the engine or ground the spark plug.
You can go to this site and register. It's a site that is for small engine problems such as yours. they will even give you part numbers.
http://ppeten.com/forums/

The coils are the same as long as it is a 5hp L engine, fits from a newer 4hp mower engine if the plug wire is long enoug, but it must be a flat head.

Sent fra min Nokia 7.2 via Tapatalk

Did one a week ago.I fitted a coil from a later model 4hp mower motor(pointless ignition),rivoted on late model starter,cleaned carb with new diaphragm. It starts and runs like new.was a 69 yr model.

Back