Collecting chainsaws?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah collectors dont give away repairable saws, so I wouldn't consider you one.
Ive given away plenty of runners to the saw needy but never a broken one.
I don't have much skill at repairing them, so it would often be quite costly to get them repaired. A dealer quoted me $1100 to fix my 441C. But I bought the 500i for $1180; no brainer! On the other hand, my brother in law is very skilled at building and repairing things. In general, I would say, if he can't fix it, it can't be fixed.

I mustn't qualify as a hoarder or collector.
I've had a number of saws over the years but when I get a deal on a saw and fix it up, someone comes along and makes me a deal that I can't refuse, and I wind up selling it.
Case in point....pecan tree crushed my house in Hurricane Ida and one of the guys removing the tree saw my 020T. He apparently wanted it bad because he gave me $1400 for it. I've not used it much for several years and only had around $200 in it.
A buddy has owned one of the Holtzfforma 200T copies for a while and likes it so I spent $250 for the clone powerhead and a Stihl bar/chain, which is handling all trimming duty I need from a top handle.

Current inventory:
Stihl 200T Clone
Stihl 028 Super
Stihl 461
Stihl 066
Husky 572XL
Poulan 3400
Homelite Super2
Homelite 45

Yeah some things aren't gonna come up too often as far as collecting, unless your income is somewhat inexhaustible repairs are necessary.
A wankel ,twin ,BP, or a comet diesel might cross your path and its collectors who will restore/repair a saw back to working condition for the sake of using it and experiencing the former glory.
I had heard alot of bad things about the MS441 but until I bought one for 23.00 at the scrapyard and rebuilt it I really couldn't comment on its quality. They are a well built powerful saw in my mind now ,as I'm working on putting together a 3rd.
Some saws are all hype and some are not, but restoring them back to usefulness is fun for me.

LOL!!!....Lee, you have the most extensive and orderly collection of saws I have ever seen!!! Mind boggling that there are actually some saws you don't have already!!!! :cheers:

Thanks Robin, It was great having you here that day. Hopefully once this
world gets back on track we can have more gtg's.

Thanks Robin, It was great having you here that day. Hopefully once this
world gets back on track we can have more gtg's.
Yeah Lee...been a bad **** show the last couple years......had a great time down in Falmouth.... .might try to catch up with you in Jackman just for chits and giggles sometime....

Thanks, used to have a 044 (I rebuilt) and a 064 ( I built from parts) but lack of funds meant I had to sell them sadly.
I've owned both of those also, sold the 044 because it had too much kickback and the 064 because I needed the money.. I used to have around 100 saws but now I'm down to less than 20..

I've owned both of those also, sold the 044 because it had too much kickback and the 064 because I needed the money.. I used to have around 100 saws but now I'm down to less than 20..
Yeah that old bugbear....money.
I have an 024 that needs parts, have a chinese 372 cases, plastics and deciding if I should rebuild it. Have another 064 in pieces but that needs a lot of parts.

Yeah that old bugbear....money.
I have an 024 that needs parts, have a chinese 372 cases, plastics and deciding if I should rebuild it. Have another 064 in pieces but that needs a lot of parts.
I have restored alot of older vehicles 60s and 70s,and driven them as daily drivers.
Someone told me that you" either have time, money.or talent " to get what you want. Poverty has made me more resourceful than most.

Been collecting Shindaiwa equipment (saws and brush cutters) for several years. Most common is they don’t run and need a fuel line and carb cleaning to get them running. Not very popular but they seem to run well. Reliable once set up to run. Got 50 or so runners. I’ve been running a 488 and a 577 lately to gather firewood.
c60bfd709ffe223389961b85e9a52099.jpg

d3de575bb48194c12f2c8caadd02b1fd.jpg

31d271190591c24e61acf86fd763ad8a.jpg

b67352f371732cf60591b19d88f4bac9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back