Commercial splitter but no conveyor - looking for suggestions to improve efficiency

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevensandeights

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just picked up a barely used Eastonmade 9-16 for a deal I couldn't refuse. Has the 4-way (still brand new), 7 way box wedge and electric start but no full auto-cycle (just auto retract). Super excited because I get a fair amount of tree service wood. My guy treats me well with 75% of the drop offs between 6-18" in diameter and minimal knots. I do occasionally get 20-26" logs though and currently have to hand quarter with a maul or noodle them down.

I typically cut all my logs in one spot and then load into a 6' long rack made out of pallets that I can pick up with my tractor. I then take the wood to the splitter right next to where I want to stack. I can raise the pallet rack to waist height so it's easy to feed my Super Splitter HD.

Brought the Eastonmade home and cleaned her up, fixed a faulty hydraulic fitting (awesome customer service from EM!) and sharpened the box wedge. First thing I noticed is this thing is HEAVY! I can barely pull it with my Polaris Sportsman 500 ATV - have to be in 4WD because it nearly lifts the rear wheels off the ground. I can definitely see why people keep these in one place and use a conveyor.

I like to store my equipment inside during winter and under cover during summer. Pulling the EM with my ATV is not a long term solution. I can pull with the tractor but usually have an implement on the back and forks on the front (fork frame has a receiver hitch but would have to take forks off).

Anyone out there using a commercial splitter without a conveyor? What is your process? What do you move your splitter with? Do you bring the wood to the splitter or the splitter to the wood?

I have done 30 cords a year the past few years but would like to get to 50. I stack all my wood on rows of pallets with IBC totes between each cord.

Prior to having a conveyor, and even with the conveyor, I split into a wagon. First was an EZ trail 260 and now into a 248 because that's what the 570 likes to pull. Just toss splits into the wagon and go stack. You could always look into fabricating a dolly of sorts so it carries the weight of the splitter and all your polaris needs to do is pull it.

I tried Dino bags, but Im going back to stacking.

Unfortunately with this set-up the box wedge really gets in the way of tossing splits off the end. The wedge takes up most of the outfeed table and the splits are under the wedge so you have to take several steps away from the control levers to get to the splits, especially those on the far side of the machine. So far I have operated the machine mostly from the log lift side and the lift is also in the way of getting to the splits, even when fully lowered.

I was thinking of fabbing/converting a low slung trailer to push the splits onto. Something that would fit under the outfeed table so the splits could drop on and then continue to be pushed toward the front of the trailer until its full.

If I'm lucky enough to have a stacking partner with me then all of this is a non-issue - they can grab splits off the outfeed table. However, I usually split onto the ground right next to the pallets by myself and then pay one of my kids to stack it later.

You could make a ramp of sorts that sits at the outfeed and just continuously push the splits up it and into a trailer.
The less times you have to handle it the better.

The box wedge does introduce that level of complexity and production at the same time.

If your ultimate goal is the split right where you stack, I would think focusing on making moving the splitter easier would be more beneficial.

Nice splitter up grade. Its time to look at seriously getting a conveyor of some sort. I wouldn't be without mine. I use my skid steer to move my heavy homemade splitter to the pile to be processed . You might look at building a slip on receiver hitch to slide over both forks and chain it to the fork frame so it doesn't pull off. I used one on a tractor with forks for years to move trailers and equipment around.

I drilled a hole in the end of one of my forks to put a ball in when I wanna move the Wolfe ridge. I may buy a ssqa plate and weld a receiver to it. That will reduce the overall length of the towing setup. The total length of the tractor and splitter when towing on the fork ball gets me into a pinch on occasion.

Thanks for the comments so far.

I usually have a ballast block of cement on my 3 pt hitch. Have been thinking about bolting a hitch receiver to it.

Still thinking about a low slung trailer. Could keep that hooked up to the ATV and park it perpendicular to the splitter. Splits could slide across in rows and then I just pull the trailer ahead a little when the row becomes full. Take the trailer to the stacking area and unload from one side then turn it around and unload the other side. Wood never hits the ground and would be nicer to pick it up off the trailer than the ground.

I hate picking up split logs off the ground and then stacking by hand. I have an old Telehandler which cost about $7000 and has done12,000 hours but still seems to keep going.(Bit like me!) It has a three ton lift and many attachments
A two ton grain bucket, a one ton digging bucket, set of forks, muck grab ideal for picking up brash and logs, big bag handler, box tipper, and of course the splitter that I built during the Covid lockdowns.
It's my right hand man and I would not know what I would do without it!
We used to grow a lot of potatoes and put them in ton wooden boxes so I am making use of these. Don't need a conveyor as I have the boom lift. The other advantage is that I can operate the splitter with a remote control since the hydraulics are electrically controlled. This is not only more convenient as I can move around the machine to perhaps adjust awkward logs, but also keeps me a safe distance away from the occasional flying pieces. The debris from the splitter falls through some spring tines just before the logs fall in the box. The boxes are stored for a year in an open fronted shed. When dry a single box is taken up to my conservatory door where it is three steps from the wood stove. Covered with a tarp after taking in a basket full.
Just trying to make life as easy as possible now I am nearly three score years and ten!

Attachments

• 1673380437802.png
    1673380437802.png
    267.3 KB · Views: 0
Billhook - that would probably work for me. Definitely going to look into making one out of aluminum. I like the gap at the bottom too so some of the scraps can fall through.

I did some splitting the past few days. Found that if I take the pull back arm off the splitter and put in on the back of my ATV that it helps balance the load quite a bit. Takes weight off the rear of the splitter and adds weight the back of the ATV. Not terribly heavy and it's only secured with one clip so definitely worth the hassle when taking the splitter in/out of the barn. Still a PITA to jack up the splitter so I can pull up the stabilizer legs just to pull the splitter forward a few feet though. Definitely would prefer to leave the splitter in one spot and bring the wood to it.

if you are stacking somewhere else, could you split into either the tractor bucket or a large bin, then move the bin to your stacking spot? We stack onto the tractor bucket off the end of the splitter then transport it to the pile for stacking or to dump into a pile or trailer.
I locate the splitter close to the log pile and transport blocks one by one to the splitter after every few logs are cut.I build up a wall of blocks behind the splitter operator station, that my wife pulls from to split. She stacks the splits on the tractor bucket and then I take the load away once it’s full. I built a rack for the bucket so it holds a 1/2 face cord of splits per load.

91986DB1-86DE-41AC-9827-6DB06485C282.jpeg

Pretty slick cantoo. Would need a long extension cord though!
I have 2 electric conveyors ( hat elevators) and just use a small generator to power them.
Once you use a conveyor you will wonder why you never got one before. I'm a bit of a hoarder and have at least 10 conveyors.

Attachments

• 20200912_195056.jpg
    20200912_195056.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20200912_170031.jpg
    20200912_170031.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20201002_202815.jpg
    20201002_202815.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 401776-9772627c7d23a0c997d74c8699e3ded5.jpg
    401776-9772627c7d23a0c997d74c8699e3ded5.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_00000186.jpg
    IMG_00000186.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Before we had a conveyor we would split into a large loader bucket when full would dump into piles.The conveyor is the way to go for sure!

Has anyone heard of or used an Iron Rhino conveyor from Chipper LLC in Georgia? Randomly found one on Ebay and then went to the website to check it out.

https://www.chipperllcsales.com/2022-iron-rhino-16-paddle-firewood-conveyor-h6il.html
Looks like one of these. There’s a few flavors of these on there if you look around. Wouldn’t be surprised if the exact one is in there somewhere.

Check out this product on Alibaba App Limestone Belt Firewood Conveyor Mining Used Belt Conveyor For Sale For Woodwork
https://m.alibaba.com/product/1600052936223/Limestone-Belt-Firewood-Conveyor-Mining-Used.html?__sceneInfo={"type":"appDetailShare","data":{"filterKey":"7.8.2_share","cacheTime":"1800000"}}&from=IOS1674014280505.png

A 16' unit won't stack far enough away or high enough for an Eastonmade. I put a 36' hay elevator fed by the 12' conveyor on my processor so that I don't have to move the whole setup. I also use my tractor to push the piles away from it. I have a Blacks Creek 16' I use to load my dump trailer and I like it other than the single chain sometimes gets small pieces caught under the sprocket. The new ones are belt conveyors.

Back