Comparison Husky 136 v 340

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I picked up a Husky 136 last night but I'm thinking of going back and upgrading to a 340. I'm looking at the husky web site and apparently the 340 is 2.7 hp v 2.2 for the 136 and the measured vibrations on the 340 are much less, also, weight is only .3lbs more for the 340. So I'm concluding the 340 will be less tiring. Not that I'll be running it all day. The recommended bar length, for the 136 is 13-15 inches, mine came with a 16" bar and a carry case, from the factory, so that confuses me. The 340's recommended bar length
is 13-18".
I have about an acre of really old oaks, and other assorted smaller trees, although I'm not planning on cutting any of them down any time soon, I want the ideal homeowners saw, for now and the future. I think I want a 16" bar - that seems to be a medium sized and practical bar.
Can anyone tell me if they think my reasons for upgrading make sense, or is the 136 really junk? or will it do for me?

thanks for any input
Ian

IMHO, a 136 is a little wimpy for what you want to do. I had it's bigger brother, a Husky 41 (now called a 141), and would consider it's primary purpose pruning and light cutting. (certainly not up to the task of working 1 acre of oak).

I'd go up a couple notches in power if I were you. I think 45-50 cc/10-11 lbs/16" bar is the "sweet spot" for what you describe. There is negligable weight savings going below about 50 cc but you'll sure miss the potential power for the larger tasks.

In the Husky lineup, I'd be looking at Rancher 55, 346XP, 345 or 350. A $tihl 026 would also be an excellent choice.

Hi I agree the 136 is for pruning and back yard use. Plus its a Poulan product. i would recommend the 351 as it is easily servicable ,has great power.compression release and can handle up to a 20" bar with .325 chain. It is the best valued saw for the money in the Husky line up. I have sold in the past year 50 of these and have had only 1 come back with a broken crank on the clutch side but this guy is using it for tree spacing and its not the right saw for his application. I told him when he bought it but he didnt have the money to buy the proper saw the 346Xp. Any more questions feel free to give me a shout

John W

thanks, I did go back and pick up a 345 and absolutely love it!
BTW the only reason I was just looking at Husky's was out of the top 2 or 3 brands the Husky was the one that my local hardware store carried.
I gave it a couple of hours worth of work and it has already paid for itself!
As a 'newbie' it still scares the bejezzus out of me though (in a good way).

Ian

Be safe with it. Make sure you wear a hard hat with integrated hearing protectors and eye screen. Also wear boots and preferable the ones with steel toes. Safety chaps are also a good idea. Your chain saw purchase is not complete without these items.

Make you you maintain the saw meticulously. Chainsaws are unforgiving when it comes to regular maintainence.

Originally posted by Ian
thanks, I did go back and pick up a 345 and absolutely love it!
BTW the only reason I was just looking at Husky's was out of the top 2 or 3 brands the Husky was the one that my local hardware store carried.
I gave it a couple of hours worth of work and it has already paid for itself!
As a 'newbie' it still scares the bejezzus out of me though (in a good way).

Ian

Latest posts

Back