Compatible parts from other saws or other brands.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoopermanLuva

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Good afternoon, fellas!
I'm currently working on rebuilding a 036 from way back in the 90's. And here is the question: Has anyone installed parts designed for other saws on something like this? Has anyone ever successfully put a Husqvarna piston in a Stihl before? The chain brake handle I use on it is from an MS 361. I got it for extremely cheap and thought I'd give it a try. Found out that this thing fits it pretty well and I actually prefer the shape with it being less tall than OEM. Maybe it's a weird topic that may raise eyebrows, but I like to experiment as long as it's kept safe.
Stuff that will require work and can be made compatible counts too.

Greetings!!! It's Thanksgiving Day here, a Holiday for Thanks.

Your 036 shares parts with the earlier 034. Some other things will switch out like coils.

Get yourself an IPL and see what parts are common.

Ask questions, we will help if possible.

Greetings!!! It's Thanksgiving Day here, a Holiday for Thanks.

Your 036 shares parts with the earlier 034. Some other things will switch out like coils.

Get yourself an IPL and see what parts are common.

Ask questions, we will help if possible.
Well, I'm thankful for you taking some time out of your day to reply.
I'm actually feeling a bit more adventurous than that. I mean a lot of parts from the 034/MS340 are listed as compatible. Even the plastic covers are the same with the 034 only missing the black felling line on top. Do you happen to know the wrist pin diameter on higher end Husqvarnas? Stihl made sure to get the follow-up models to the 360 incompatible where it really counts. So I was thinking, with me having an aftermarket jug laying around, I could try to pop a Husky piston in it just for fun and adjust skirt height for correct timing. The cylinder is dead stock. The piston is only about 7 bucks. The availability for spares around here is not the best. It's nearly impossible to get a reasonably priced OEM piston. Now with me having a shop with a bunch of tools including a lathe and too much time on my hands, I started thinking. Is a conversion worth trying or will it get me in the local news for blowing up the shop?
Happy thanksgiving!

Sometimes theres more to it than physical dimentions.
I put Husqvarna 268 pistons in Hilti DSH700 cutoff saws, because the origional Hilti piston kits are $165.00!
They are only one ringers, and the OEM have a dished piston.
They tend not to last very long though with concrete cutting, but at 1/10th the cost, who cares?
You can't get much better design than an 036/MS360. Great saws.
They spent millions on R&D, why not just leave it stock, or port it?
I do the same thing though....we're just guys being guys. Faster, stronger, unique.....etc

There are guys that swap pistons between manufacturers for various reasons - price/availability/performance. You need to know the dimensions of your piston then surf the net to find something similar. The Meteor website may have some good info on their pistons concerning dimensions - I haven't looked there in a long time. Pay attention to skirt length, ring pin location(s), pin-to-deck height, skirt width, and pin diameter, and number of rings. The distance between the piston pin bosses may be different as well. If you have a lathe, you may be able to adjust many of these dimensions, and possibly machine a pop-up for more compression. Lot's of possibilities - just do your research and use your imagination.

I do not recommend modifying any safety features like chain brakes. If someone else is injured using the saw, you could be held responsible.
I generally agree. This particular saw will be used be me only. I pity the fool who touches it. :chainsaw: The different shape of the handle works well with the top cover, that's currently warped because of heat (the saw had a rough life before I got it) and locks beautifully. It's much better than the old one that cracked from banging into the plastic cover and was generally worn out. So in this case, I'd say it's an enhancement in aesthetics and safety.

There are guys that swap pistons between manufacturers for various reasons - price/availability/performance. You need to know the dimensions of your piston then surf the net to find something similar. The Meteor website may have some good info on their pistons concerning dimensions - I haven't looked there in a long time. Pay attention to skirt length, ring pin location(s), pin-to-deck height, skirt width, and pin diameter, and number of rings. The distance between the piston pin bosses may be different as well. If you have a lathe, you may be able to adjust many of these dimensions, and possibly machine a pop-up for more compression. Lot's of possibilities - just do your research and use your imagination.
Thanks for the tip about the Meteor website. I was already able to find the dimensions of the Husky piston I was looking at and it has a bigger diameter pin. So that option is out the window. Making a pop-up piston is one of the things I'm looking for. I just want to find something I can work with locally. Great info, much appreciated.

I generally agree. This particular saw will be used be me only. I pity the fool who touches it. :chainsaw: The different shape of the handle works well with the top cover, that's currently warped because of heat (the saw had a rough life before I got it) and locks beautifully. It's much better than the old one that cracked from banging into the plastic cover and was generally worn out. So in this case, I'd say it's an enhancement in aesthetics and safety.
I don't doubt that it could work and look better, just saying an attorney could prove otherwise - even if, heaven forbid, you were injured. Your insurance company could conceivable bail on you.

I don't doubt that it could work and look better, just saying an attorney could prove otherwise - even if, heaven forbid, you were injured. Your insurance company could conceivable bail on you.
I'm in Russia. Things don't really work that way here. People are not that much into the legal stuff. There is no tradition of taking things to court, I'd even go as far saying that there is a tradition not to. Just ruins all the fun. :)
Since the country shares a border with China, we have cheap saws, including knockoff Stihl and Husky saws (that look nothing like the original), overflowing the market. Plenty of ways to get hurt.
But I absolutely see your point and appreciate your concern.

I can't see using another saws piston when there is OEM and good aftermarket like Meteor are available.

Totally agree while spares are still available it on ly when the dreaded NLA shows that "Bodging" is brought into play even then I usually restrict it to parts from Badged saws same model different Decal

Latest posts

Back