Compatible rim?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backstage

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Wondering how rim compatibility works. My focus right now is reducing all these in between parts and saw sizes and moving us to a two saw system for repair redundancy and cross compatibility. My malevolent eye is currently on chains. We’re going to 3/8 24“ .050 and .325 18“ .050. I’d love to go to just 3/8 or .325, but that’s not happening because Other Reasons. :p Either way, I’d like the capability to drop any chain in the inventory on any saw for whatever reasons.

What rim part do I need to put a .325” chain on a Husky 572xp?
What rim part do I need to put a 3/8” chain on a 550xp mkii? And while we’re on that second one, how hard a time is the 550xp mkii really going to have with a 24 3/8 for bucking and limbing?

Those come in the USA anyway with different bore sizes for the sprocket and drive. Pretty sure the 562 part will go on the 550 making that the either large or standard depending on who names the sizes,. As opposed to small. Only 9 tooth .325 in the larger spline size. Often coin size to fit inside used for reference. As you must know the bar mount is different 550 vs 572.

Probably would need hard nose, change replaceable nose, or perhaps use Stihl bar and adapter for that D009.

I agree with you to change your set up to be more universal. I do not have a 572 but it looks to me that you might need to change clutch drum to be able to put your 3/8'' sprocket on. I have just two sizes of chain which is 404 and 3/8. It does make life more easy. Thanks

I wouldn’t run .325 on the 572 unless you make your own chains, and even then I still wouldn’t recommend it. I run a 24 3/8 bar on my 562, I would say a 20 would be a better fit if you’re planning on burying the bar.

I wouldn’t run .325 on the 572 unless you make your own chains, and even then I still wouldn’t recommend it. I run a 24 3/8 bar on my 562, I would say a 20 would be a better fit if you’re planning on burying the bar.
That’s what I’m coming to, unfortunately. I don’t see it as a likely cause of issues for low usage, and at a shorter chain. But I’m just not seeing part availability, bars in particular. I just don’t see ANY .325 bars with the Husqvarna large bar mount style.

That’s what I’m coming to, unfortunately. I don’t see it as a likely cause of issues for low usage, and at a shorter chain. But I’m just not seeing part availability, bars in particular. I just don’t see ANY .325 bars with the Husqvarna large bar mount style.
You'd have to buy 3/8 bars and put .325 tips on them.

Wondering how rim compatibility works. My focus right now is reducing all these in between parts and saw sizes and moving us to a two saw system for repair redundancy and cross compatibility. My malevolent eye is currently on chains. We’re going to 3/8 24“ .050 and .325 18“ .050. I’d love to go to just 3/8 or .325, but that’s not happening because Other Reasons. :p Either way, I’d like the capability to drop any chain in the inventory on any saw for whatever reasons.

What rim part do I need to put a .325” chain on a Husky 572xp?
What rim part do I need to put a 3/8” chain on a 550xp mkii? And while we’re on that second one, how hard a time is the 550xp mkii really going to have with a 24 3/8 for bucking and limbing?
Madsons Shop and Supply has a great article on their site; I printed it and its a wall-chart.
Ditto with Oregon. Just stumble thru their site and there are silhouette prints of each rim, to scale! Another wall chart. Good Luck!

Back