Concept: Center of Gravity Is King by Force, in Domain of Weightless Wood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTreeSpyder

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
In rigid forms the combined/net average expression of distributions of mechanicals of weight, angle and distance to a single point is the Center of Gravity alias CoG.
To model, calculate etc. can use that CoG point xForce to show how to handle, what to expect.
This is true in all things, as very rawly shown in tree work.
CoG concept is so true, that can balance/float spar etc. on single point of CoG , as all of rest of form ballasts one side against the other on all cross axises equivalently.

Four-simple-extremes-of-same-off-balance-kingpin-center-of_-gravity-in-simple_domain-of_-weightless-spar.png

This is true in all things, even as child's play:
CoG_paradoxes.png
if ANY of these did NOT have the collective CoG lined up pin-point PERFECTLY onto the singular support pivot given, the shown 'structure' would fall. More weight to whole structure, w/o change of balance point, would simply secure the structure more in place; especially if given over a shared broader balance(heavier opposing fork handle ends, even longer etc.), instead of more towards or over singular pinpoint of support as key benchmark position to keep CoG aligned to for balance.

From these same principles to much larger primal scale, a sawyer ushers trunk and limb by commanding support and removal of same support in such a way as to displace the King CoG's position, by using own force against him, thru contacting chosen handle points on his own domain to do so; we overthrow .

In rigid forms the combined/net average expression of distributions of mechanicals of weight, angle and distance to a single point is the Center of Gravity alias CoG.
To model, calculate etc. can use that CoG point xForce to show how to handle, what to expect.
This is true in all things, as very rawly shown in tree work.
CoG concept is so true, that can balance/float spar etc. on single point of CoG , as all of rest of form ballasts one side against the other on all cross axises equivalently.

Four-simple-extremes-of-same-off-balance-kingpin-center-of_-gravity-in-simple_domain-of_-weightless-spar.png

This is true in all things, even as child's play:
View attachment 1035431
if ANY of these did NOT have the collective CoG lined up pin-point PERFECTLY onto the singular support pivot given, the shown 'structure' would fall. More weight to whole structure, w/o change of balance point, would simply secure the structure more in place; especially if given over a shared broader balance(heavier opposing fork handle ends, even longer etc.), instead of more towards or over singular pinpoint of support as key benchmark position to keep CoG aligned to for balance.

From these same principles to much larger primal scale, a sawyer ushers trunk and limb by commanding support and removal of same support in such a way as to displace the King CoG's position, by using own force against him, thru contacting chosen handle points on his own domain to do so; we overthrow .
Yup whats your point?

This is great, for truly i was not born knowing these things that i remember. Many times reading, many places here and elsewheres i find myself wondering if everyone is on the same page of this deeply pivotal concept. One that i had to keep bringing self back to, to get here; but now live with. And of all the places known, this is the one that calls itself humbly arbo_101 as a fit then. Specifically some seem to lose sight of these concepts as take to next levels of: dimensions of pull, Tapered Hinge, then purposefully felling an easy lean instead as a side lean for less hit(and to practice) and rigging. Also as goes then to Dutchman's and how not to/why not to 'invoke/conjure this force' seems all inherent here.; from the keys of this pivotal start i think.
A few correct key pivotals carried, that then can be leveraged out to cover the most ground(i think of as leveraged L-earning) as true 'pareto'(i think of as 'pare to'), 80/20 rule, law of vital few, power distribution, champagne glass rule etc. whatever the seemingly organic phenomenon is called this week! And many times can't see the next peek, until fully crest the present peek. Kinda a quick hands on olds-cool farm sense of things done for generations, that one from the city might not have lived to key into the revealing lessons of, 'the knowing'.
Center-of-gravity-is-a-ruling-kingpin-by-force-in_a-weightless-rigid-domain.png

i purposefully do show the CoG in 'impossible' positions(as accused, guilty)again in this drawing too to exemplify cannonball of all weight as the CoG can be anywhere within the perimeter of domain and as invite to open mind to all things as look at this as a fresh start. Handles to the CoG are physically on that same perimeter of course then. Biggest thing over and over is open mind beyond the counter-intuitives to handle the wood as weightless rigid, with only CoG as force is in perimeter by contact(s) on the perimeter as shown here too.
Girl's Balance Beam in gymnastics is an expression of femininity in the 4" wide walk and then done with grace. For her CoG is lower and wider set, to be more stable and even so graceful while, making the walk so easily as to include even tumbling play on a 4" wide strip. Guy is not built for it: higher CoG and narrower hip set!

Back