Concerned

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rabbit box

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got my new wish book from from Wes Spur yesterday (great people, reliable people to do business with). On page sixty seven is an advertisement for Yale Cordage(they produce a quality product, safe product for our profession). The picture shows a person doing arborist work in a tree. Their are a lot of people that are new to our work and Harry homeowners that come away with the wrong perception that this is how our work is performed. Their are so many disturbing and just dangerous ways of doing arborist work in this advertisement. The advertisement informs us that Yale cordage "For over 70 years tree work has been an integral part of what we do and what defines us as a company". If you have a catalog, please look at this advertisement. If you do not have a catalog then get yourself one. Use the advertisement to teach and show people how not to perform arborist work and the dangers of not getting proper training. All brand new equipment and no training. Go slow. Stay safe.

After reading your post, I had to get a catalog from them, because I was curious to see.
Is this the correct ad?

View attachment Yale Cordage Ad.jpg

I am not a professional, but strive to do the best work I can. So, can you help me understand what is so wrong with that photograph?

The positives I see:
  • PPE (eye, ear, hand, helmet)
  • Double tie in
  • Proper hand position on the saw
  • Looks like the correct gear for a removal
  • Looks like the v-cut I've seen several arborists do for control during a crane removal
The things I don't like:
  • Downward lanyard angle
  • Initial appearance of being tied into the piece being cut - But taking a closer look shows it's a crotch, so he's likely tied into the side hidden from view

What am I missing?

Lanyard looks fine to me... Any higher and it is in the cut.

Only thing I see is it sure looks like he is making a back cut without a completed notch. Farmer's cut???

I'm assuming it is a removal...so spikes are OK.

Lanyard looks fine to me... Any higher and it is in the cut.

Only thing I see is it sure looks like he is making a back cut without a completed notch. Farmer's cut???

I'm assuming it is a removal...so spikes are OK.

It looks like he is cutting out the wedge.

He is still tied in to the piece he is cutting off. It's a legit technique but the climber must remember to remove that tie in before making the back cut. It's a technique I've used many times over the years and makes making the wedge cut much easier.

It looks like he is cutting out the wedge.

He is still tied in to the piece he is cutting off. It's a legit technique but the climber must remember to remove that tie in before making the back cut. It's a technique I've used many times over the years and makes making the wedge cut much easier.
Maybe...but it sure looks to me like there is a downward cut (what would be the top of wedge/face cut) on the face of the tree that we are looking at. It looks like he is cutting back towards us with what would be a back cut...maybe level, but looks angled down.

Looks like his lanyard is tied in below the cut. Yes, it would be better (from this snapshot) if he were tied into the other half of the fork (assuming the tree forks just about knee level), but like you said it is probably better positioning to be tied into that piece...as long as you are certain it will not peel.

He is still tied in to the piece he is cutting off.
I think that is an illusion. The more I look at the picture, the more I convince myself he's tied into the other side of the crotch.. Especially since it looks like the MRS comes off at an angle from his left side.
Maybe...but it sure looks to me like there is a downward cut (what would be the top of wedge/face cut) on the face of the tree that we are looking at. It looks like he is cutting back towards us with what would be a back cut...maybe level, but looks angled down.
It looks downward to me too, that's why I assumed he's doing a v-notch for a crane pick.
(assuming the tree forks just about knee level)
It definitely does - See the left side of his lanyard coming through it?

Thumper and many others hit the
Nail on the head. Just an climber doing a typical crane removal. Everything checks out and he’s doing a technically sound job from the looks of it.

@Yarz i think the slight downward lanyard angle is due to the angle of the pic, even if it wasn’t I don’t see that being absolutely horrible, he’s in a nice position with his body. Sometimes especially double tied in, you make (or at least I do) a small compromise when you can’t have you lanyard level with your hips due to situation. If that makes sense. He doesn’t want to go any lower in the crotch to make his cut because it will make it more difficult and the foot or so more wood won’t make a difference on the next few picks,also he probably doesn’t want that lanyard in the other lead because it’s a higher chance it gets nicked by his saw making his back cut of that v technique, additionally it torques his body in a weird position having to be turned at the hips to his right to make his cuts, essentially fighting his flip lines natural orientation of wanting to keep his hip square to the lead he’s got it wrapped around

Like I said if that makes sense, just speculation though. I’m sure other climbers and crane removal climbers will understand what I’m trying to say if I didn’t make sense on that post lol sorry boys

Latest posts

Back