Confessions of an addict

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So last fall I purchased a used PP5020AV because it was cheap and I needed a bigger saw for firewood that I burn in the garage. I felt confident in my decision because of what I read here. Glad I bought it. Did the muffler mod, drilled some holes in the air box cover and tuned the carb and started cutting.

Thats how it all started.

I started looking at different bars and chains for it. I started wanting to use .325 chain so I researched that. Then I started buying. I've only got 2 16" and 2 20" for it, but it didn't end there. When I was modding the muffler I noticed some lite scoring on the piston and figured the saw wouldn't last forever.

So I started watching out for decent used saws. A few weeks ago I purchased a decent Echo cs-5000 because of what I read here. I only paid 125 for it so I decided I would clean it up a little. Bought new piston and rings and new b&c. 20" prolite and full chisel pro chain. I had already became a member so I'd been introduced to porting and gasket deletes and other mods so when I had the 5000 apart I decided what the heck.

I widened the exhaust a bit and cleaned it up. Touched up and smoothed intake and transfers but didn't change timing in any of them. I did shave a bit off the piston skirt on the intake side but not much. I filed about a 1/4 of the keyway off to advance timing and finished up with a muffler mod. I just finished putting back together this weekend and I am proud to say it started in 4-5 pulls. I cut with it a bit to tune the carb and its perfect! Thing runs great with what I feel is plenty of power.

So back to my problem....... You guys were right, this stuff is addicting! I know this is long winded, but I had to get this off my chest. No one understands what I'm saying when I talk to people around me about this.

The new b&c for the 5000 will be here in a day or 2. I didn't buy it until I was sure the saw would run.

Attachments

• 20220404_135017.jpg
    20220404_135017.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
Jack-of-all-trades. First off welcome to the forum. When I was younger I hot rodded a lot of different things. Now days I just try to keep things running. You are already finding saws get a little addictive. You can't beat a good running powerful saw. Love the sound of a healthy running two stroke engine.

Jack-of-all-trades. First off welcome to the forum. When I was younger I hot rodded a lot of different things. Now days I just try to keep things running. You are already finding saws get a little addictive. You can't bet a good running powerful saw. Love the sound of a healthy running two stroke engine.
Thank you for the welcoming, I really enjoy this site.

Update on Echo cs-5000

So I brought my saw over to a friend's place this weekend because he had a tree fall over the winter. The tree was a soft wood but pretty big around. I needed to set the new piston and rings on my echo so I figured it would be a chance to do that and see what the saw would really do.
After about a tank and a half it leaned out all the sudden so I shut it down and adjusted. Fired it back up and tuned it in the cut and boy did it cut. Runs perfectly and cuts great. Only a 50cc saw so I can't lean on it much but if you just let it eat, it'll chew its way to the bottom without hesitation.
I'm curious about what it'll do in some dry, hard wood, but thats for another day. And I'm anxiously waiting for that day to come. 😁

I plunge cut that stump and went around. The chain got bound up with saw dust at the end but the saw never got hot or choked up like it was to much for it.
Side note: I'm surprised at how light and balanced the cs-5000 is. I brought the pp5020av with and picked it up after I'd been cutting a while and set it right back down because of the weight. And the poulan only has a 16" bar.

Attachments

• 20220410_163435.jpg
    20220410_163435.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 1
  • 20220410_163915.jpg
    20220410_163915.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
Back