Confirmation of Frost Damage Suspicion?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SimpleScott

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi everyone and thanks in advance.

I am quite confident that our city's green ash (Frax. pennsylvanica) suffered a considerable amount of frost damage at the end of May and is what is causing the current state of affairs. We're zone 3b so it's not uncommon. Buds and shoots are brown, dry, and crusty however the branches are still alive. Some trees are pushing leaves and others still look quite bare. My doubt comes from the fact that some streets have trees with excellent ash right next to bare ones... I would really appreciate a second opinion on this. Can frost set trees back this far? It only seems to be the ash.

Other thoughts are cottony ash psyllid which we have plenty of but those generally cause leaf deformation as a symptom and only really hit the black and European ash hard.

We have EAB here however this is widespread and I am confident it is not to blame for this damage.

Anthracnose is also quite bad here too though the symptoms are not quite that either.

I will update with some photos later today, they're on the work device.

Greatly appreciated,

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Here are some of the photos;

The first one shows the plethora of little guys who I believe are the "ash plant bug" (Tropidosteptes amoenus), second one is of the suspected frost damage, and the third is an example of the kind of reduction in canopy we're seeing this year. Fourth photo is a neighbouring ash tree that is in full canopy.

I've done branch sampling for both EAB and vascular wilts with no signs of anything. Variety of planting depths all experiencing the same sort of fluctuation in canopy. Edit* There is a minor presence of scale insects and as I said before, anthracnose is ubiquitous.

Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.
IMG_0087.JPGIMG_20210622_121723[1].jpgIMG_20210621_142522[1].jpgIMG_20210622_122244[1].jpg

Latest posts

Back