confused by husqvarna 268 #*#?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked up a well used 268 yesterday. 2 issues/questions so far...... Not sure what sort of air filter set up I need/ Some previous owner cut a round hole in the air cover and put on a foam stack that was disintegrating into the carb. Will try to attach photos of air filter holder setup. Also, does not seem to have spark although I think i will buy a simple tester today. Has anyone had success with aftermarket coils? I found a bunch on ebay that seem to be compatible with many older husky saws for stating around 11$ and on up . Also seems to have a tillotson carb i would need to rebuild, anyone able to guess which model that would probably be , or which carb kit? Trying not to put too much money into this saw as I dont think I will keep it ( pretty happy with my old 365) Thanks for helping a newbie

Attachments

• IMG_0338.jpg
    IMG_0338.jpg
    618 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0339.jpg
    IMG_0339.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 25
I think that would be a Tillotson HS, which uses a RK23-HS kit. As for the filter, measure the o.d. of the pipe bit and search the UNI filters website for a similar-size filter. Or, you could just take the old filter in to a local dirtbike shop and have them try to match it.

I will go look and see if there are threads of some sort on air filter holder. The wornout one was a hollow cylinder of foam held on with a hose clamp. Here's a close up of air filter holder, I', thinking those two flanges were filed off partway. Reminder, if anyone has any experience with the aftermarket coils on ebay for this saw please speak up, cuz I'm pretty sure I dont have spark

Attachments

• IMG_0341.jpg
    IMG_0341.jpg
    468.2 KB · Views: 10
If the 268 used the same filter as the 266/61, then that's not the original air filter elbow thing. I have 266, a 61 and they all use the same two bolt washable air filter screen. That elbow doesn't have the threaded goes for it to mount to tho

If the 268 used the same filter as the 266/61, then that's not the original air filter elbow thing. I have 266, a 61 and they all use the same two bolt washable air filter screen. That elbow doesn't have the threaded goes for it to mount to tho
Kind of looks like the studs were lopped off to fit the crappy filter.

I think so too...... now, I'm hoping to use an after market coil cuz an OEM for this would be really expensive. Is that ok? ( or maybe you have a used one that would like a good home?)

Hopefully the link works, but that part seems to be available for about $15
https://www.jackssmallengines.com/jacks-parts-lookup/part/husqvarna/504358610From several sources. I know I saw the air filter a few places as well in the past.
As for ignition, again assuming it's the same as 266 which I believe it is, there's an early style 2 piece that people don't love and I'm pretty sure it's NLA, and then some kind of single piece modern one. My understanding is if you're shopping used, avoid the two piece as they are less reliable? I've never seen a one piece, all my saws have the two piece and they all work fine, although one of them the wires just disintegrated when I was cleaning the saw up, and the routing is so tight you can't just splice the wires and run the oem path.

The 268 unless it is extremely early will be one piece ignition.
For the air filter, it uses the 262xp filter in a black housing that is held together with clips, not the 266 style filter.
66c36b51eb51a9c909b05ae16a106e75.jpg

6e34cd800f4002663cd79b5b9a663bea.jpg

HL Supply has a nice kit with the 272 HD filter, elbow and clamp very reasonably though:

3aa7ba106f429138f6206d91b012d3ea.jpg

it's overkill, this auto/motorcycle filter on chainsaws thing. Mesh is fine 99.9% of the time. And they last forever and are easy to clean.

my flocked filters are a pita compared to my mesh filters.

Yes, that filter fits under the standard 268/272 cover.
For the ignition, try looking for a 55 Rancher. It's the same piece, buy may be easier to find that way.
HL Supply has the OEM one, but I have been running an aftermarket (Farmertec) one on one of my 55's for a couple years now with good luck, so far.

thanks, I think thats the filter setup i will use if I can find a coil for it. will that filter fit under a standard top cover? thx
I just rebuilt a 268xp that had the original air box - lots of fines got through for the PO and wore the ring out made a mess in the bottom end. Used the Farmertec HD setup that you listed here and really like the way it seals with the clamp. As others have said, it fits fine under the cover.D076BD25-A901-492E-AF1A-D5CC9BB6B84C.jpeg

bought a spark tester and tried it out, and damn, the saw suprised me and started!! Someone ported the heck out of the muffler, added two ports so now it has 3! Is that too much? No kill switch wire, do you think thats something I can find or make my own? I know one end attaches to the switcj, what about the other end?

Back