Confused by husqvarna 353 fuel/impulse lines and NAKED LADIES!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi. Recently acquired a very dirty non running 353 that I’m rebuilding. Came across what looks like a fuel line to nowhere. Any idea what that is and where it goes? There is a small rectangular opening underneath the carb. Guessing it goes through there but no idea really. Btw. Saw is set up with a purge bulb but I don’t think this has anything to do with that 6A9C0EAB-26D1-4854-AE61-A91260E42C78.jpeg09CB8803-B3F5-4104-B866-03C77817A067.jpeg2AB32B03-D603-4736-AFF0-FD2630A8594A.jpeg

Still have too many fuel lines? The one my thumb is on I think is the fuel line. I think one is the purge bulb line but no idea how it returns into the tank. And then there’s a short line coming up right next to the fuel line. Is that a tank vent? Anyone have a picture or diagram that might help a mechanically challenged old guy?

Still have too many fuel lines? The one my thumb is on I think is the fuel line. I think one is the purge bulb line but no idea how it returns into the tank. And then there’s a short line coming up right next to the fuel line. Is that a tank ventAnyone have a picture or diagram that might help a mechanically challenged old guy?

Ok I’m doing this from memory but you can figure it out . First - the lines have nothing to do with impulse, so don’t worry about that. The three line coming out of the fuel tank are:
First - the front most line is the tank vent. It should fit over a white nipple at the fuel tank. The white nipple is the check valve, press fit into the tank, that allows vent air in to the tank. The other end of the vent line should just connect somewhere around the carb intake. Most Huskies don’t have this line, the fuel tank just vents right through the check valve.
Second - fuel io the carb. Middle, I think. Function is self explanatory.
Third line - is the return line from the purge bulb. When you use the purge bulb it SUCKS gas from the tank THROUGH the carb and then excess goes back to the tank through this line. This is probably the line that is plugged with the sheet metal screw.
What happens is over time the purge valve and/or it’s connecting lines age and develop leaks so people disconnect and plug them. The only line that is critical to saw running is obviously the line from the tank to the carb.
If you decide to replace the purge valve and reconnect everything as original just pay attention to how the purge valve is connected. The purge valve has an internal check valve and the lines from the carb and tank must be installed correctly.
If this doesn't get you going let me know. Like I said, I’m telling you this from memory but I have have a 353 and also some Jred 2152s to look at.

Ok I’m doing this from memory but you can figure it out . First - the lines have nothing to do with impulse, so don’t worry about that. The three line coming out of the fuel tank are:
First - the front most line is the tank vent. It should fit over a white nipple at the fuel tank. The white nipple is the check valve, press fit into the tank, that allows vent air in to the tank. The other end of the vent line should just connect somewhere around the carb intake. Most Huskies don’t have this line, the fuel tank just vents right through the check valve.
Second - fuel io the carb. Middle, I think. Function is self explanatory.
Third line - is the return line from the purge bulb. When you use the purge bulb it SUCKS gas from the tank THROUGH the carb and then excess goes back to the tank through this line. This is probably the line that is plugged with the sheet metal screw.
What happens is over time the purge valve and/or it’s connecting lines age and develop leaks so people disconnect and plug them. The only line that is critical to saw running is obviously the line from the tank to the carb.
If you decide to replace the purge valve and reconnect everything as original just pay attention to how the purge valve is connected. The purge valve has an internal check valve and the lines from the carb and tank must be installed correctly.
If this doesn't get you going let me know. Like I said, I’m telling you this from memory but I have have a 353 and also some Jred 2152s to look at.
thanks, I think what would be most helpful If you are willing and able would be a picture or two , and what you think the lines in your picture may go to. Thanks again, if you don't have the time, that's fine, one of these days I will get it figured out. The primer sure makes these a little more confusing ( for an old newbie)

thanks, I think what would be most helpful If you are willing and able would be a picture or two , and what you think the lines in your picture may go to. Thanks again, if you don't have the time, that's fine, one of these days I will get it figured out. The primer sure makes these a little more confusing ( for an old newbie)
I’ll try to get some pictures to you by this weekend. I’m sawing tomorrow but Thursday I should be working on a Jred 2152, same as a Husky 353.

Ok, with a primer/purge bulb the saw needs at least 3 lines. One that goes from the tank to the bulb, one that goes from the bulb to the carb, and one that goes from the carb back to the tank to dump the fuel/air mixture the bulb is pushing back into the tank. That saw probably has a line that runs from the tank vent to the carb floor as well. Remove the plastic floor that's under the carb or pull the tank and take a picture of where that line meets/enters the tank.

Back