Considering a 3pt chipper

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BWS-LLC

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I found a Harper Goossen chipper/shredder in the used section at a local tractor dealership. The owner of the place knows nothing about the chipper, he said it's been there for ages and that he's sick of looking at it. It's for sale under consignment.
The price is $1000, but the dealer said he'd give the guys number to me so I can see what kind of price he will go down to.

Just lately I've been considering a chipper so I don't need to deal with loading the brush on a trailer and haul it to my brush pile.

Realistically I'd be chipping 3" max stuff. How fast do these 3pt chippers eat? Are they fairly speedy or do they take a long time?

The dealer thought this thing only requires 20hp to run it, which isn't a big deal. I have a 165 Massey, it should be more than adequate .

I have found very little info on these chippers, are they any good? Knowing nothing about chippers, are knives pretty standard if they need replacing, or if I buy the thing and it needs new knives will I discover they are NLA and I now own a expensive barn door stop?

Being it's been sitting outside for the past few years.... Is there anything I should check over in regards to the knives?

Also, the price now is $1000, what would be a fair price on a unit like this?

15ed768b19c2ffe9c67c219289e56e12.jpg

I have a 3 point chipper and really like it. It is not as fast as a duck and chuck but it works well for what I do. It basically eats it as fast as I can drag it in. One thing I highly recommend is to make sure it has a roller feeder. This way it keeps everything moving in and you are not babysitting it. You can be getting the next piece of brush while it is pulling it in.

Here is a review of the one I got.

http://imageevent.com/kevininohio/woodchipper?n=0&z=2&c=4&x=0&m=24&w=0&p=0

I'd buy it again and that is enough said on my end.

Note this type of chipper is a gravity fed unit- it has no feed rollers or other mechanical device to assist in feeding raw material. I will guess that it is a max dia of 4" for the chipper part ( like a 4"x4" or smaller opening at the base of the chipper infeed section, the other ( shredder section ) is designed for not much more than 3/4" max dia. ( of any one single part of a branch) so small brush and leafy material is what is to be fed there and again it is a gravity feed area. As with any power tool incorrect use will get you hurt or worse. ( note the Darwin awards threads that appear every so often) The construction/operation is similar to my own Echo Bear Cat unit.

I have Dr brand 4" chipper non feeding it works well for what it is it will chip anything you can fit in it but you do have to assist it you don't need to push just keep the branches moving it's powered by my deere 2720 32 hp not sure on your hp

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

165 hp massey ,hooked to a chipper rated for ..... by a man that got his finger cut off already by being who he is ,what could ever go wrong ,please have the camera rolling though ;)

I think a chipper would be really handy to have around. Hopefully you can make a deal with the guy who owns it.

I talked to him today, he sounds willing to deal. I just need to figure out how much I want one (or need one)

He said to talk next week when he's home, then I can try it.

From the little research I've done, it looks to be a good deal. He said it was used very little by his BIL who has failing health and needs it gone (first owner)
The part that worries me is seeing that it's been outside at the dealer for "at least 2-3 years" according to the dealer.

I know what happens to equipment after it sits outside unused for long periods....

I talked to him today, he sounds willing to deal. I just need to figure out how much I want one (or need one)

He said to talk next week when he's home, then I can try it.

From the little research I've done, it looks to be a good deal. He said it was used very little by his BIL who has failing health and needs it gone (first owner)
The part that worries me is seeing that it's been outside at the dealer for "at least 2-3 years" according to the dealer.

I know what happens to equipment after it sits outside unused for long periods....
I hear you there, but if he is willing to price it accoringly, you can usualy work around that kinda stuff, as long as you have a place and the time to do it. I would like to say "BUY" but it's more like "OBTAIN" (read dumpster dive) the majority of my stuff in various states of dis-repair. I am poor and cheap and CHEAP !!!!! I am often times the VERY last owner of stuff as the previous last owner already tossed it in the dumpster where I found it while shopping and I brought it back to life. It works well for me! I like to **** with stuff anways and then I have stuff I want but don't use often enough to justify spending lots of cash.

They are very handy to have around I only use mine when something is in the yard but I unhook my qa bucket spin the tractor around so the chipper is aimed at the bucket when it's full I take it and dump it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

I never could figure out why making a brush pile on the corner of your property or in a woods some place isn't better than screwing around with one of those little toy chippers...

I've yet to see one of those little chippers that was worth having...

Plus the rabbits will thank you... lol

SR

I bought this skid steer one a few weeks ago, sold it last week. It's was a Wallenstein BXH42 which means up to 4" . I tried it out on my brother in laws bobcat skid steer and it preformed as well as I expected a small chipper to work. Waste of time. No power feed and throat was way too small for even small branches. More work to feed into the machine than it would be to raise beavers to chew the crap up. I was planning on just using it for cedar but with lots of braches it just wasn't going to work. Sent it down the road for a good profit though.
I would definitely try before you buy if I were you. I buy stuff and resell all the time so it was a money making deal for me anyway. Everything I own is for sale and I'll use it until it sells. Well not the Stihls, they aren't for sale. But the Huskys, yeah the huskys are for sale.
IMG_20150606_125150.jpg IMG_20150606_125159.jpg

Latest posts

Back