Contract Climber rates

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Montana_Sam

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Looking for ballpark numbers for contract tree climbing rates. I know this varies area to area, I'm in a resort community in otherwise rural Montana...lots of money floating around.

A large forestry/excavation company just reached out to me to be hired on as an as-needed contract tree climber. I have no idea what to ask for as far as hourly or daily wage goes. I have insurance and all the rest, a single member LLC, all my gear, rigging, work truck and saws. I know what I can make doing jobs by myself, but thinking something like $65.00 an hour for contract climbing?? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Muchos gracias.

I’ve never gone by the hour when contract climbing. It’s usually per job basis. Rarely by the day($500ish). Only if it’s a slow week. I take on a job or two of my own and contract another two or three. I had a client want a log that was about 45ft blocked down due to the reduced space between the power line and house. Took me about an hour to set up and take it down, charged him $250. No cleanup. Was a perfect warm up for the following job that day. You can get away with doing two or even three smaller contract jobs that add up. Sometimes it’s a dozen or so pines that need to be felled. A good $100/$200 a tree never hurt anyone. Easy way to make a grand or two in a day with no cleanup. Demand and supply is king. Pretty saturated where I’m at.

I get $200 per tree to fell for an excavator/demolition company. Of course, I'm not a good enough climber to contract out.

I do hire out to another tree service at $30/hr to run his bucket truck, but that's mostly so I can rent his bucket truck if needed.

Looking for ballpark numbers for contract tree climbing rates. I know this varies area to area, I'm in a resort community in otherwise rural Montana...lots of money floating around.

A large forestry/excavation company just reached out to me to be hired on as an as-needed contract tree climber. I have no idea what to ask for as far as hourly or daily wage goes. I have insurance and all the rest, a single member LLC, all my gear, rigging, work truck and saws. I know what I can make doing jobs by myself, but thinking something like $65.00 an hour for contract climbing?? Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Muchos gracias.
By the day, with you being legal to hire and have gear I get around 400$- 500/day. climbing and helping pick up at the end.

$500 a day sounds about right. I've had no problem billing out $75/hr to $95/hr for climbing so far this year, 4 hour minimum.

Back