Convert Flippy Caps To Old Style Caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Flippy caps are awesome:rock: Never need a scrench, just give em' the old two hand pop and get back to cutting. I hate taking the time to refuel when I am pushing on a job, flippy caps just make it easier.

They are pretty good. Stihl has top people. I always have scrench in my back pocket for tightening chain anyway. More saws coming with tooless that, too.

8th wonder of the world "flippy caps" ahhhhhh...i love 'em.. tryin figure how i can install them on my truck...really tho i do think they work well

Is there a conversion for screw caps to flippy caps, now there is a product that would sell to the masses.

Sam

I'm just sitting here wishing I had a flippy cap on this damn can of tuna..............freaking can openers........they never seem to work when I want me a tunafish sammich. :mad:

It's good. It's good. Man, somebody do it. On second thought, I'm not real sure about the left hand threads, and probably need a funnel. It's just somethin' I thought of out walking my Dog last night. You make 'em and patent it. Just send me some. LOL.

What continues to amaze me is that 90+% of flippy cap problems are the oil tank flippy.

My theory is that on removal the cap is NOT swiveling and then can't be re-inserted properly.

You just have to check to see if it is actually sealed..or not.

If NOT..then remove cap and manually do the swivel..replace..check again..cut wood.

Works for me anyway..!!..I've only had one break and it was at the THIN swivel..!!
:cheers:
J2F

Thank you, Mastermind for taking this thread into productive waters, as the whole flippy cap whining is old and boring for everyone except the 7 people that can't seem to figure out how to use them.

In that spirit, Karen, will only use those new fancy "burrless" can openers, that don't leave a burr around the edge. They're a great idea, but many times there is a sealant or something that shows up that I find somewhat unappetizing. So I would prefer to deal with razor sharp edges and metal shavings in my food, LOL.

Sam

Thank you, Mastermind for taking this thread into productive waters, as the whole flippy cap whining is old and boring for everyone except the 7 people that can't seem to figure out how to use them.

In that spirit, Karen, will only use those new fancy "burrless" can openers, that don't leave a burr around the edge. They're a great idea, but many times there is a sealant or something that shows up that I find somewhat unappetizing. So I would prefer to deal with razor sharp edges and metal shavings in my food, LOL.

Sam

A little iron is good for you.....I'm right sure of it.

There's an old guy that lives near me.....he is the sort that never changes anything in his daily routine. Everyday he cooks gravy in an iron skillet, and stirs that gravy with the same tablespoon. Well after many, many years the spoon is half gone.

I know where it went........heck he ate the damn thing......a little each and every day. He's 90 years old and healthy as a mule. I'm gonna go eat a damn spoon. :dizzy:

Thank you, Mastermind for taking this thread into productive waters, as the whole flippy cap whining is old and boring for everyone except the 7 people that can't seem to figure out how to use them.Sam

My experiences...I don't care a wit for them. Today I replaced the oil flippy on a 260. I believe this is the fourth in 8 yrs +-. Doesn't sound like much, but compare it to a screw in cap that would probably still be original issue.

Am I breaking them? I don't think so.

And your perception of those that don't like them, I think, is wrong. I bet you those 7 people you mentioned and myself being no. 8, are actually bright enough to "figure out how to use them" Oh yeah, I had to scratch my head a bit and cy-fer it out, but I think that by Gwaud, I mastered it.

I have had them break, and I have had them, like the one today, just become a nasty, obsessive, little critter, that would seal - IF - you could get it to turn in correctly. (Yes, I is a-where of the swivel screwing up.) So, since it musta been the reason that I have not slept well in years, I de-duced that I would be better off changing it. See...I has smarts.

I would snap up some kinda conversion to the old type caps. I do think it would serve two purposes, one being the topic on discussion, and the second - since it would raise the actually cap up a little - perhaps it would make it much easier to clean off around the cap before opening.

I have 4 Stihls at present, and usually have to take pains to keep the crap outta the tanks. And no, I do not obsess about the crap, just the cap.

Last edited:
My experiences...I don't care a wit for them. Today I replaced the oil flippy on a 260. I believe this is the fourth in 8 yrs +-. Doesn't sound like much, but compare it to a screw in cap that would probably still be original issue.

Am I breaking them? I don't think so.

And your perception of those that don't like them, I think, is wrong. I bet you those 7 people you mentioned and myself being no. 8, are actually bright enough to "figure out how to use them" Oh yeah, I had to scratch my head a bit and cy-fer it out, but I think that by Gwaud, I mastered it.

I have had them break, and I have had them, like the one today, just become a nasty, obsessive, little critter, that would seal - IF - you could get it to turn in correctly. (Yes, I is a-where of the swivel screwing up.) So, since it musta been the reason that I have not slept well in years, I de-duced that I would be better off changing it. See...I has smarts.

I would snap up some kinda conversion to the old type caps. I do think it would serve two purposes, one being the topic on discussion, and the second - since it would raise the actually cap up a little - perhaps it would make it much easier to clean off around the cap before opening.

I have 4 Stihls at present, and usually have to take pains to keep the crap outta the tanks. And no, I do not obsess about the crap, just the cap.

Sorry its been that hard on you. I find that the speed saved by the caps have overwhelmingly offset any issues I have ever had with them. They have never shut down a job, they have never caused me mental stress, I have never had to project evil thoughts in their direction, if I would have never been on Arboristsite, I would have never known that people existed that couldn't operate them or that they actually caused people to have bad days.

That said, as usual, AS'site has made me more aware of risky environment that I have been living in all this time, and that by owning so many flippy caps and using them in a professional manner for years, I'm not really sure how I have escaped peril of some sort, just damm lucky I guess.

As usual with the flippy cap threads, I will continue to count my blessings, as to date, I have had more fluids leaked by the fewer screw caps that I have owned 8 to be exact than the 18+ flippy caps that I have owned.

Statistically, I'm not sure what conclusions to draw from those figures, but here is an attempt:

1. My workers and myself are either --- Smarter than some other flippy cap operators.

2. My workers and myself are either --- Dumber than some screw cap operators.

3. My workers and myself are either --- Simply Lucky.

4. My workers and myself are either --- More evolved mentally, therefore the advanced technology "meshes" with our more complex minds.

5. There is nothing inherently wrong with the flippy cap design and there is always going to be a certain percentage of failures in any design.

6. There is nothing inherently wrong with the flippy cap design and there is always going to be a certain percentage of people that can screw up an anvil.

7. Out of the millions of flippy caps that have been produced when you have one fail, go buy a new one, same as with screw caps, and then move on with life, don't let it get you down.

8. Don't use Kliens or other tools on the flip cap .... there are other much more simple solutions.

Who knows?? but I do find it humorous how in a cross section of enthusiasts you can have a "standard" and get such left to right opinions and experiences from it, I mean some people literally hate Stihl because of a "cap", LOL, and yet others such as myself, can't even conceive that they are anything, but handy as heck and save me time and trouble.

If nothing else its interesting.

Sam

After years of uneventful flippy use I had my first fail last week on a 362 out in the boonies. Couldn't seem to get that cap locked down, but assumed operator error.

Back in my well-lighted shop I CAREFULLY went through the open-close procedure about a dozen times on my bench. Only then did I notice how the bayonet mount/half-turn design actually worked (having never paid that much attention to it). Apparently in the woods I was closing the flipper before having the three-prong catch fully seated. On the workbench, I easily replicated the fail in which I could turn the flippy without twist-locking the prongs. Obviously if the flippy top turns but the lower half doesn't, the cap won't lock. Just make sure the lower half of the cap seats and turns into place before snapping down the flippy.

Certainly this must have been discussed in detail on AS before.

Tuna can flippys? I'm thinking more like beer can flippys :D

What continues to amaze me is that 90+% of flippy cap problems are the oil tank flippy.

My theory is that on removal the cap is NOT swiveling and then can't be re-inserted properly.

You just have to check to see if it is actually sealed..or not.

If NOT..then remove cap and manually do the swivel..replace..check again..cut wood.

Works for me anyway..!!..I've only had one break and it was at the THIN swivel..!!
:cheers:
J2F

It is odd that most problems are on oil tanks. In addition to the 260, (4 caps), I also replaced the oil flippy on a 361.

I do agree with your procedure above. This one that I replaced yesterday just gradually became difficult to seat. And the swivel would turn quite easily without the cap turning. Just something else to fiddle with. So, I put a new one on and, yes, it worked fine.

Stihl does admit that if the oil tank is too full they won't work. I used to put them on anyway without a problem, but not lately.

As far as "time saving" over screw in caps - zilch/nada/none. I have a 034 that I use only my hands to on/off the caps. No problem with any leaking etc.

So...How many Polacks does it take to screw in a flippy/screw cap? (I dunno, but it seemed like a good first line for a joke.)

In so many words.

I swear the Germans designed the flippy caps to weed out a certain type of person .................... I'm not really sure what type of person that is, but there are a select few that can't seem to grasp how easy they are, and they can't, just not figure out how to use them, they totally fubar them, and soon the flippy cap becomes a point of energizing hatred.

How many people do you think that Stihl has to go through before they find someone who can't properly operate one

I swear if they applied the same Flippy Cap Confusion and Disorientation mentallity to the screw caps and started to cross thread the screw cap or attempt to screw it in counter-clockwise, they would then bash the saw with a sledge hammer, as the solution??!!??!???!?!

How does overfilling the oil or gas cause a problem? I idiotically, overfill all the time and when I stick the oil or fuel cap into the hole, the cold or warm oil or gas just squishes out and I apply the cap same as always, yet I have no issues, nor does is become the sole focal point of my life's hatred.

Odd,

Sam

If you ran my ms 250 for a little while you would stop defending flippy caps.

Back