Convert Flippy Caps To Old Style Caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tuna can flippys? I'm thinking more like beer can flippys :D

I don't drink beer Tom but can still relate to your desire to an easy opening can, (I do drink Coke) There are many times the the tab lifts up but not a damn thing happens to unleash the refreshing beverage in the can. :msp_sad: And you can't re-close the beverage to keep the "fizz" in either. :msp_angry:

Perhaps we could have a brainstorming session and come up with a flippy cap can????? :msp_smile:

Of course there is that .05% that could never operate them. :msp_sneaky:

I don't drink beer Tom but can still relate to your desire to an easy opening can, (I do drink Coke) There are many times the the tab lifts up but not a damn thing happens to unleash the refreshing beverage in the can. :msp_sad: And you can't re-close the beverage to keep the "fizz" in either. :msp_angry:

Perhaps we could have a brainstorming session and come up with a flippy cap can????? :msp_smile:

Of course there is that .05% that could never operate them. :msp_sneaky:

After enough refreshing beverages, I may join that .05% - but then again it may just be a built in safety net, cut me off when I just can't open anymore!!! Oh wait, the problem is closing it back up...... Nevermind, that's not a problem!!!! :D But when I do close it, I most certainly don't want any leakage.

I didn’t want them, but I never disliked them entirely until I had an 80 foot tall Pin Oak to take out of a lady’s yard a couple of weeks ago. We’re talking about 8 cords of wood. And I was fired up. Had a narrow window of opportunity because I had a 40 foot JLG scheduled and only one day of frozen ground to do it. Had to go like clockwork. I had my MS362 ready and was fueling it up on my tailgate when the JLG arrived. I got the bar oil a little too full you know it’s hard to control when it’s that cold. Then my infamous tooless cap wouldn’t seat. It was actin’ like a plunger. I ended up forcing it with a pair of Kleins—wasn’t a tooless cap no more was it?!

You know at a company the size of Stihl, the management machine is cumbersome. And just the money spent on engineering these caps alone could put everyone reading the chainsaw forum right now on a beach somewhere for a decade. You can’t stop that. My last MS660 didn’t have them but now they’re here.

I don’t have the resources to put this plan into action, but with the high degree of ingenuity and rubber to the road philosophy that prevails in the AS chainsaw forums I know somebody here can do this. Make some kind of conversion with a gasket between the opening on the tanks and regular but smaller male caps with left-hand threads. And if you can get that rollin’ send me a dozen and we’ll call her square.

And you didn't consider dumping a bit of oil out? Sounds like operator error again.

Harry K

My experiences...I don't care a wit for them. Today I replaced the oil flippy on a 260. I believe this is the fourth in 8 yrs +-. Doesn't sound like much, but compare it to a screw in cap that would probably still be original issue.

Am I breaking them? I don't think so.

And your perception of those that don't like them, I think, is wrong. I bet you those 7 people you mentioned and myself being no. 8, are actually bright enough to "figure out how to use them" Oh yeah, I had to scratch my head a bit and cy-fer it out, but I think that by Gwaud, I mastered it.

I have had them break, and I have had them, like the one today, just become a nasty, obsessive, little critter, that would seal - IF - you could get it to turn in correctly. (Yes, I is a-where of the swivel screwing up.) So, since it musta been the reason that I have not slept well in years, I de-duced that I would be better off changing it. See...I has smarts.

I would snap up some kinda conversion to the old type caps. I do think it would serve two purposes, one being the topic on discussion, and the second - since it would raise the actually cap up a little - perhaps it would make it much easier to clean off around the cap before opening.

I have 4 Stihls at present, and usually have to take pains to keep the crap outta the tanks. And no, I do not obsess about the crap, just the cap.
Hey Sawin I am with you .Some people cant figure out they are crap!Dont tell me they dont break or leak!

Well them screw in caps can be a bugger too! I just filled an 025 up with gas and oil and didnt have a wrench. Get the caps tight as i could. Walked about ten feet with it runnin and got gas all over me. Man does that stuff burn if you get it on the wrong places! :msp_sad:

In so many words.

I swear the Germans designed the flippy caps to weed out a certain type of person .................... I'm not really sure what type of person that is, but there are a select few that can't seem to grasp how easy they are, and they can't, just not figure out how to use them, they totally fubar them, and soon the flippy cap becomes a point of energizing hatred.

How many people do you think that Stihl has to go through before they find someone who can't properly operate one

I swear if they applied the same Flippy Cap Confusion and Disorientation mentallity to the screw caps and started to cross thread the screw cap or attempt to screw it in counter-clockwise, they would then bash the saw with a sledge hammer, as the solution??!!??!???!?!

How does overfilling the oil or gas cause a problem? I idiotically, overfill all the time and when I stick the oil or fuel cap into the hole, the cold or warm oil or gas just squishes out and I apply the cap same as always, yet I have no issues, nor does is become the sole focal point of my life's hatred.

Odd,

Sam

I don't think we can say it's just an issue of people not knowing how to operate one. We've seen a pretty fair number of AS members on the poll indicating they hate the dang things. And these same members come to this forum regularly out of interest in saws. If we're having this much trouble, imagine how much trouble occasional users have.

And why should we have an oil tank that cannot be filled? I don't think it's too much to ask to be able to fill it up and to have a cap that can be put on reliably. These saws are not cheap; if they were off brand saws, I'd say you get what you pay for.

What was the poll result? Something like 40% of AS members didn't like them? I think that's significant. If Stihl weeds out 40% of their customers, they'd change the design.

I actually made it through two tanks of oil today with no issues. That's a first for my 261. But I'm checking my oil cap very carefully at each fill up now. It doesn't look locked down even when it is.

I'll be first in line when the conversion kit gets invented.

If you REALLY chug the kool aid, you'll dig the flippy caps and the latest EPA power head.

my flip caps have little holes in them around outer ring area ,if overfill the oil it pushes through them , a saw can be converted to screw caps ,just buy an older tank and a older lh side case if its that much an issue

my flip caps have little holes in them around outer ring area ,if overfill the oil it pushes through them , a saw can be converted to screw caps ,just buy an older tank and a older lh side case if its that much an issue

For 12 or more saws that would be to much work and money even foe one who needs the trouble?We should not have to fix what Stihl comes up short on for the cost of the new saws!

Yeah, but flip it??...what means this "flip it"?

My bad i always was a slow one to catch on!:hmm3grin2orange: Maybe thats why i still like flippy caps:hmm3grin2orange: I thought we were talkin flippy caps where you have the flipper to flip. :confused:

I didn’t want them, but I never disliked them entirely until I had an 80 foot tall Pin Oak to take out of a lady’s yard a couple of weeks ago. We’re talking about 8 cords of wood. And I was fired up. Had a narrow window of opportunity because I had a 40 foot JLG scheduled and only one day of frozen ground to do it. Had to go like clockwork. I had my MS362 ready and was fueling it up on my tailgate when the JLG arrived. I got the bar oil a little too full you know it’s hard to control when it’s that cold. Then my infamous tooless cap wouldn’t seat. It was actin’ like a plunger. I ended up forcing it with a pair of Kleins—wasn’t a tooless cap no more was it?!

You know at a company the size of Stihl, the management machine is cumbersome. And just the money spent on engineering these caps alone could put everyone reading the chainsaw forum right now on a beach somewhere for a decade. You can’t stop that. My last MS660 didn’t have them but now they’re here.

I don’t have the resources to put this plan into action, but with the high degree of ingenuity and rubber to the road philosophy that prevails in the AS chainsaw forums I know somebody here can do this. Make some kind of conversion with a gasket between the opening on the tanks and regular but smaller male caps with left-hand threads. And if you can get that rollin’ send me a dozen and we’ll call her square.
Some years ago, when I was an avid Stihl "collector" (had over fifty of them...), I set out to replace the flip caps on all of my newer ones. I found these caps on eflay that really seem to work, and they were available in all sizes but the oil cap on the little tree saws. Mine are still working just fine. They were about twelve dollars a pop, and I like them so much better than the flip caps. Flippies are hard to clean, and you can't be in a hurry to get back to work, because a leg full of mix or bar oil is almost guaranteed. I have learned to be methodical and careful with the caps, but I still can't get the area clean enough to my liking.

I wonder if those caps are still out there....

Some years ago, when I was an avid Stihl "collector" (had over fifty of them...), I set out to replace the flip caps on all of my newer ones. I found these caps on eflay that really seem to work, and they were available in all sizes but the oil cap on the little tree saws. Mine are still working just fine. They were about twelve dollars a pop, and I like them so much better than the flip caps. Flippies are hard to clean, and you can't be in a hurry to get back to work, because a leg full of mix or bar oil is almost guaranteed. I have learned to be methodical and careful with the caps, but I still can't get the area clean enough to my liking.

I wonder if those caps are still out there....
I searched Dave's CCC store on there. He didn't have any. Hmmm.

Latest posts

Back