Convert Flippy Caps To Old Style Caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arbonaut

Go Climb It
Reaction score
I didn’t want them, but I never disliked them entirely until I had an 80 foot tall Pin Oak to take out of a lady’s yard a couple of weeks ago. We’re talking about 8 cords of wood. And I was fired up. Had a narrow window of opportunity because I had a 40 foot JLG scheduled and only one day of frozen ground to do it. Had to go like clockwork. I had my MS362 ready and was fueling it up on my tailgate when the JLG arrived. I got the bar oil a little too full you know it’s hard to control when it’s that cold. Then my infamous tooless cap wouldn’t seat. It was actin’ like a plunger. I ended up forcing it with a pair of Kleins—wasn’t a tooless cap no more was it?!

You know at a company the size of Stihl, the management machine is cumbersome. And just the money spent on engineering these caps alone could put everyone reading the chainsaw forum right now on a beach somewhere for a decade. You can’t stop that. My last MS660 didn’t have them but now they’re here.

I don’t have the resources to put this plan into action, but with the high degree of ingenuity and rubber to the road philosophy that prevails in the AS chainsaw forums I know somebody here can do this. Make some kind of conversion with a gasket between the opening on the tanks and regular but smaller male caps with left-hand threads. And if you can get that rollin’ send me a dozen and we’ll call her square.

Last edited:
You could epoxy a flippy cap in place, and drill out the center for a smaller screw in cap or an oil filler cap from a small engine.

That's what I'd do if I was desperate, but I haven't had any trouble with mine so far.

There is a search feature on this site to try and reduce the amount of double and triple threads on the same topic

My honest suggestion is use it... quietly.... without speaking.

Better yet, start and "Occupy Stihl" movement. Get everyone and their brother to camp out on the front lawn of the Stihl plant. That will send the message for sure. It's worked all over the country for those Occupy movement people. Oh, wait, nevermind.

I know somebody here can do this. Make some kind of conversion with a gasket between the opening on the tanks and regular but smaller male caps with left-hand threads. And if you can get that rollin’ send me a dozen and we’ll call her square.

Bailey's.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/9lYMslMHG0k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Are you saying that they make the 660 with flippy caps???? Honestly, where can I get one of those models, I love the flippys. I have owned about 18+ flippy caps for 4+ years and have replaced 2 of them at this point, both still worked but over time would leak a little bar oil. I have never replaced a fuel cap. They were/are used in a logging setting and with upwards of 6 guys using them and everyone just uses them like no problem and no mercy is given to the saws.

I am a cronic overfiller of gas and oil and still have never had the problems that I hear about on this site, pretty neat stuff, amazing actually. The screw in caps on my 3 660's would usually end up leaking at some point in time. I always made sure they were sitting on their sides, I had ordered a couple of screw caps for them to correct that leaking.

Hope you find a solution to your problem, it seems pretty isolated though, usually its more isolated to certain people though.

Good luck,

Sam

I had my MS362 ready and was fueling it up on my tailgate when the JLG arrived. I got the bar oil a little too full you know it’s hard to control when it’s that cold. Then my infamous tooless cap wouldn’t seat. It was actin’ like a plunger. I ended up forcing it with a pair of Kleins—wasn’t a tooless cap no more was it?!

Jesus christ, all you had to do was dump out some oil.

:bang:

Last edited:
I'm a dinosaur. My 660 has screw in caps. I did replace one screw in cap in 20 some years.
Flippy cap complaints probably are more isolated since the recall. I don't have anything bad to say about Stihl. It's worth it to ask about this, because someone over here will solve it. When it happened to me, now I can see what the problems are.

Jesus christ, all you had to do was dump out some oil.

:bang:

In so many words.

I swear the Germans designed the flippy caps to weed out a certain type of person .................... I'm not really sure what type of person that is, but there are a select few that can't seem to grasp how easy they are, and they can't, just not figure out how to use them, they totally fubar them, and soon the flippy cap becomes a point of energizing hatred.

How many people do you think that Stihl has to go through before they find someone who can't properly operate one

I swear if they applied the same Flippy Cap Confusion and Disorientation mentallity to the screw caps and started to cross thread the screw cap or attempt to screw it in counter-clockwise, they would then bash the saw with a sledge hammer, as the solution??!!??!???!?!

How does overfilling the oil or gas cause a problem? I idiotically, overfill all the time and when I stick the oil or fuel cap into the hole, the cold or warm oil or gas just squishes out and I apply the cap same as always, yet I have no issues, nor does is become the sole focal point of my life's hatred.

Odd,

Sam

Last edited:
Flippy caps are awesome:rock: Never need a scrench, just give em' the old two hand pop and get back to cutting. I hate taking the time to refuel when I am pushing on a job, flippy caps just make it easier.

Back