Convert Stihl MS150 T C-E to 3/8 Picco?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qluk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Any thoughts on converting a Stihl MS150 T C-E to use a 3/8 picco chain? The 3/8 picco chain is cheaper, matches my 193T, and the European parts diagram in the link below shows that there is an available 6T sprocket (part number 1146 640 2006 - Stihl Chain sprocket 3/8'' Picco 6T).

Parts diagram: https://www.diyspareparts.com/parts/stihl/diagrams/ms150tc-e/0787dfe8-5239-4b42-a88f/

Also, what is the thing next to the sprocket on this page? https://www.flexparts.de/original-E...6-640-2006-/-/-/-STIHL-Kettenrad-3/8-Picco-6Z

Thank you in advance.

I'm very happy with 3/8 picco (Stihl PS) on my Echo 2511t. The cut may not be as smooth as with 1/4, but I'm trail clearing and thinning, not pruning landscape trees.

The thing next to the sprocket on that picture is a piston stop - goes in the spark plug hole to hold the piston still while you remove the clutch (to swap the sprocket). As far as the chain goes yep its more chain for the engine to move, but how many teeth are on the current sprocket? If it is an 8 tooth sprocket for that 1/4" chain and you change to a 6 tooth for the 3/8 it would probably be fine. On a 12" bar.

The thing next to the sprocket on that picture is a piston stop - goes in the spark plug hole to hold the piston still while you remove the clutch (to swap the sprocket). As far as the chain goes yep its more chain for the engine to move, but how many teeth are on the current sprocket? If it is an 8 tooth sprocket for that 1/4" chain and you change to a 6 tooth for the 3/8 it would probably be fine. On a 12" bar.
Thank you for your reply. The sprocket that comes with the stock MS150 is a 6T. The 3/8 picco sprocket in that web link is also a 6T. I see what you mean about moving more chain. I'm gambling on this and going to give it a shot. Stock, it's a well-balanced tool. I tested the weight balance with the 14 inch bar from my 193T and it still felt good so I'm gambling with spending the money for the 3/8 picco sprocket shipping from Europe and a 12 inch .050 bar from here along with the chain. Adult lego.

I'm very happy with 3/8 picco (Stihl PS) on my Echo 2511t. The cut may not be as smooth as with 1/4, but I'm trail clearing and thinning, not pruning landscape trees.
I checked out some videos on your saw. Looks great!

As an update, I received the sprocket (part number 1146 640 2006 - Stihl Chain sprocket 3/8'' Picco 6T) and picked up a 12" bar (part number 3005 000 4805) along with a chain (63 PM3 44). At first the saw was having trouble so I did the muffler mod (thanks, Poplar Mechanic) along with a little carb tuning and the system worked great. It really kicks some ass now. The chain is much cheaper, as well.

I recently sold my MS150T but I really liked that saw. I was running 1/4P which I also liked though I did break a chain. I would stay with 1/4P. In addition I replaced that saw with an Echo CS2511T which runs 3/8 low pro chain. I switched to a Stihl non-safety chisel chain before I even ran it. The saw seems to handle the 14" b&c ok though I may switch to a 12" lightweight bar but I will likely stay with 3/8lp

I recently sold my MS150T but I really liked that saw. I was running 1/4P which I also liked though I did break a chain. I would stay with 1/4P. In addition I replaced that saw with an Echo CS2511T which runs 3/8 low pro chain. I switched to a Stihl non-safety chisel chain before I even ran it. The saw seems to handle the 14" b&c ok though I may switch to a 12" lightweight bar but I will likely stay with 3/8lp
My biggest problem with the 1/4PMM3 chain was the price. $36 after tax. When I switched to 3/8LP it was $14. Now my 150 and my 193T have the same chain so I bought a 100 foot spool and chains now cost me around $8.

Echo really put out a super saw with the CS2511T but the situation was $100 and a quick mod to convert my 150 or $400+tax for the Echo. If I didn't have either saw I'd go with the Echo. If there's other people with a 150TC-E who wish they had a 3/8LP chain then I hope this all helps.

Back