Corroded crankcase worth saving?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pioneer

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Have this corroded crankcase from a Husqvarna 55. In one spot it's actually gone right through, is it possible to save it with a good industrial epoxy? Is it worth it?

IMG_20221015_111659.jpg

He says it’s penetrated the crankcase. That means a major air leak.

To fix that with a steel epoxy, you’d be doing a lot of rust removal down to bare metal, then overfill and shaping. Probably not worth it. :(

It's hard to tell from the pic but it looks like that hole is outside of the crankshaft area of the crankcase, and just goes through to the back half of the case into the fuel tank recess. I agree if it goes into the crankshaft recess it is a real problem. With Husky 55s being relatively common and cheap, I would look for another one and save this one for parts in that case.

Like has been said, 55s are fairly common you may find one in your local dealers boneyard

Could be the owner was using something other than bar oil as a chain lubricant (like waste motor oil for instance) that is corrosive, or the species of tree that this saw cut had a corrosive effect, or possibly the storage location. Maybe the OP can shed some light on this subject.

I think it was a combination of acidic trees and the wrong kind of bar oil, possibly used crankcase. The saw otherwise shows it has very little time on it, so it's a shame to have that happen. If the saw had been cleaned up and not sat for a long time with that dirt in it, you would not have seen that corrosion. A good case for cleaning your saws once in a while.

Should be a pretty fast/easy fix with epoxy. Degreasing first will be your biggest job. I'd use brake cleaner and compressed air.

Latest posts

Back