could use some advice using a vermeer sc852 stump grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clydesdale6

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have access to this stump cutter for the weekend. I could use some advice on how to use it. Do I use it a peak rpm? It seems like the machine wants to take a large bite. In other words, I can breath on the boom stick to go down and it goes down quite a bit and then the machine seems to be taking quite a large bite and shakes. I was kind of hoping to take smaller bites. I lowered the rpm and used the stick again, but that did not seem to change anything. I have watched some videos, but still could use some help and some basic tips on general use and method. Thanks.

I ground stumps for years for a tree service. Always run it at full throttle. My approach was to back the grinder up to the stump far enough that when the wheel is lowered to the point that the chain/belt cover is just above ground level, the wheel will be removing enough of the stump on that side that the remaining stump will all be below ground level.
Start off by grinding your way down until the wheel is at the lowest reasonable height, which like I said the belt/chain housing is just off the ground and the wheel is 6-8" or what ever below ground level. Lower the wheel about 1-2" per every swipe left to right or right to left.
Once you grind down to that ideal depth, then telescope the grinding wheel out 1-2" bite for every swipe back and forth. Think of it like a giant beaver gnawing back and forth on a cob of corn. Trying to take off more than that per swipe will make it lurch and jump all over the place. Only use the height to adjust your depth as needed and telescope out your way through the stump.
Also...having all the teeth intact and the correct depths is critical. Missing teeth or teeth with the carbide broke off will make it work really bad.

Can I see a pic of the machine?

It must be self propelled instead of a pull-behind grinder. If it's self propelled replace "telescope" with "creep forward" in what I said previously.
Also, it should have mentioned, every grinder I've ever used has a knob to adjust the pressure on the sweep control, you need to adjust to find the sweet spot where there is enough force to keep the wheel grinding but not cause it to bog down or jump.

Back