Covid Whistleblowers About Last Year's Fire Assignments

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
The article does say that Covid was taken more seriously on Warshington fires. I've worked on both these forests and am a bit surprised, but everybody I knew is retired. Not meaning to get into a mask argument. I do know that a couple of fire folks came back here and tested positive, but one had been exposed to Covid before leaving as it was in his family.

The Warshington DNR had several small fire camps during our big fires, instead of the usual humongus one.

Here's the article.
Whistleblower Article

The article does say that Covid was taken more seriously on Warshington fires. I've worked on both these forests and am a bit surprised, but everybody I knew is retired. Not meaning to get into a mask argument. I do know that a couple of fire folks came back here and tested positive, but one had been exposed to Covid before leaving as it was in his family.

The Warshington DNR had several small fire camps during our big fires, instead of the usual humongus one.

Here's the article.
Whistleblower Article
Masks won't effectively prevent anything in the real world unfortunately , when a large amount of people converge within limited space or less than adequate ventilation in a confined area . Unfortunately many essential workers are being exposed !

Last I checked fire is a lot more deadly than the Covid.
That is a rather flipent attitude to have , of course fire is more capable of immediate death than a covid virus . If your Son was working for the fire services , you may have a more sympathetic approach . The basic Health & Safety of employees is imperative . 1st Responders in Urban settings have routine guidelines to follow to prevent transmission of disease to employees or victims during this pandemic . The Fire Services Branch should be no different .

That is a rather flipent attitude to have , of course fire is more capable of immediate death than a covid virus . If your Son was working for the fire services , you may have a more sympathetic approach . The basic Health & Safety of employees is imperative . 1st Responders in Urban settings have routine guidelines to follow to prevent transmission of disease to employees or victims during this pandemic . The Fire Services Branch should be no different .
Wild land firefighting is an inherently dangerous job. Seems silly that someone who would sign up for that would turn around and cry about protocol for a virus we know isn’t dangerous to young and healthy individuals. That’s my point.

Wild land firefighting is an inherently dangerous job. Seems silly that someone who would sign up for that would turn around and cry about protocol for a virus we know isn’t dangerous to young and healthy individuals. That’s my point.
Jury's still out on age , unless your speaking juveniles . I had a former teammate of mine in Junior hockey who's son passed this summer at age 32 yrs . He also played University hockey @ Boston . Anyways yeah , I see your point . I suppose the majority of these hotshot crews are in the early to mid 20's .

Tell that to all the dead young and healthy individuals, and the permanently screwed up ones who still have neurological problems a couple years later.

Saying "Firefighting is dangerous, so firefighters should all snort metal shavings because it's not as dangerous as firefighting" might win you points with pro-shavings-snorting special interest groups, but it's terrible advice for actual firefighters.

Just curious, have you worked on the firelines on a crew? I have. Not to mention that fire camps are pretty unhealthy without Covid. Folks are horking up black stuff in the morning--always a pleasant sound. The smoke affects your lungs and not in a good way. I quit going because I came home sick with bronchitis half the time and then was unable to work at my day job for a couple of weeks. Then there's poison oak smoke, which thank goodness I never had to deal with it. Firefigting is dangerous, but we try to take as many precautions as possible to make it safer. Our AVERAGE age on the crews I went on the most, was 27, but we were crews that were made up of almost no fire people--we were mostly timber folks.

You guys should do sewer work if you think thats dangerous!
Funny ,not really seen as heroic useless its "your" sewer system.
This is a logging and forestry site, not a "dirty jobs" one. It isn't really a brag about danger thread either. There's enough of that on other forums.

Was just thinking, crews have to wear Nomex, but it doesn't always prevent you from getting burned, we all are required to wear hard hats in the woods, but if a tree falls on your head, a hard hat is not enough to keep you from getting killed....lots of safety rules that will protect somewhat, but are not 100%. Back in my time, we wore bandanas over our mouths and noses to try to filter the smoke and dust we were inhaling.

The point is to mitigate/lessen the hazards as much as possible and if it is deemed too hazardous, you leave and get to a safe place, or as our crew did, refuse to go out. For the last bit, you'd better be sure your managers at home will back you up. We knew ours would as one of them was on our crew.

Ok , lets really talk facts then , first most employers dont give 2 squirts if you live 5 minutes past the time you retire. Most if not all safety reg.s are litigation resistant, C.Y.A.
With the world currently full of Karens and Nancys we'll "saftey" our selfs right out of being able to do most jobs so no one gets sued.

This is a logging and forestry site, not a "dirty jobs" one. It isn't really a brag about danger thread either. There's enough of that on other forums.

Was just thinking, crews have to wear Nomex, but it doesn't always prevent you from getting burned, we all are required to wear hard hats in the woods, but if a tree falls on your head, a hard hat is not enough to keep you from getting killed....lots of safety rules that will protect somewhat, but are not 100%. Back in my time, we wore bandanas over our mouths and noses to try to filter the smoke and dust we were inhaling.

The point is to mitigate/lessen the hazards as much as possible and if it is deemed too hazardous, you leave and get to a safe place, or as our crew did, refuse to go out. For the last bit, you'd better be sure your managers at home will back you up. We knew ours would as one of them was on our crew.
Definitely not a job for the faint of heart , much like the Coal Mining industry of the last 100 yrs , dirty hot dangerous work . Under appreciated in my mind , they should be given adequate safety measures for themselves and their families sake !

Jury's still out on age , unless your speaking juveniles . I had a former teammate of mine in Junior hockey who's son passed this summer at age 32 yrs . He also played University hockey @ Boston . Anyways yeah , I see your point . I suppose the majority of these hotshot crews are in the early to mid 20's .
Yeah we know who is susceptible to the virus and who isn’t. It’s unfortunate some of our youth have lost their lives to it but fortunately those cases are few and far between. Sorry to hear about your friends son.

Tell that to all the dead young and healthy individuals, and the permanently screwed up ones who still have neurological problems a couple years later.

Saying "Firefighting is dangerous, so firefighters should all snort metal shavings because it's not as dangerous as firefighting" might win you points with pro-shavings-snorting special interest groups, but it's terrible advice for actual firefighters.
Please point to where I said they should snort metal shavings. Thanks
Just curious, have you worked on the firelines on a crew? I have. Not to mention that fire camps are pretty unhealthy without Covid. Folks are horking up black stuff in the morning--always a pleasant sound. The smoke affects your lungs and not in a good way. I quit going because I came home sick with bronchitis half the time and then was unable to work at my day job for a couple of weeks. Then there's poison oak smoke, which thank goodness I never had to deal with it. Firefigting is dangerous, but we try to take as many precautions as possible to make it safer. Our AVERAGE age on the crews I went on the most, was 27, but we were crews that were made up of almost no fire people--we were mostly timber folks.
Exactly. There’s a lot more dangerous things in that line of work than the Covid. Usually when you hear about whistleblowers in firefighting it’s about procedure and protocol in regards to fighting the fires not a virus. That’s why it’s surprising to see.

Yeah we know who is susceptible to the virus and who isn’t. It’s unfortunate some of our youth have lost their lives to it but fortunately those cases are few and far between. Sorry to hear about your friends son.

Exactly. There’s a lot more dangerous things in that line of work than the Covid. Usually when you hear about whistleblowers in firefighting it’s about procedure and protocol in regards to fighting the fires not a virus. That’s why it’s surprising to see.
Covid is an add on. At the beginning of last year's Warshington fire season, the various agencies came up with a plan on how to mitigate it. They didn't take it lightly. Small fire camps, no lines for meals, keeping crews apart, were some of the ways they came up with to try to keep folks healthy in an environment that is not healthy. Fire camps are good breeding grounds for sickness--more than being out on the line.

Covid is an add on. At the beginning of last year's Warshington fire season, the various agencies came up with a plan on how to mitigate it. They didn't take it lightly. Small fire camps, no lines for meals, keeping crews apart, were some of the ways they came up with to try to keep folks healthy in an environment that is not healthy. Fire camps are good breeding grounds for sickness--more than being out on the line.
weird how the state that got hit first, had the first covid deaths, the first mask mandate, and general shut down...

Has fewer covid related deaths then many, if not most other states, even with similar population densities.

I'm "sure" its just a "coincidence"

Thanks GW , it was a shock , such a healthy young man with no immune or allergy symptoms , go figure !

Then they died or have lung issues due to the excessive smoke, not the covid.

But of course, the certificate will say "died of covid".

Back