Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abritton90

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
My first time posting so I hope I came to the right thread. I recently moved into a new home that has a horse chestnut tree which unfortunately has a big crack in the trunk as well as leaves that are covered in brown spots (rust?) I don’t know much about trees so was wondering if anyone could help me diagnose and some tips to treat it. The crack also seems to have some substance oozing out of it, near the bottom black area. 743EEE9C-E43A-4B04-9F4B-4FAD6794C048.png

My first time posting so I hope I came to the right thread. I recently moved into a new home that has a horse chestnut tree which unfortunately has a big crack in the trunk as well as leaves that are covered in brown spots (rust?) I don’t know much about trees so was wondering if anyone could help me diagnose and some tips to treat it. The crack also seems to have some substance oozing out of it, near the bottom black area. View attachment 934525
Also would anyone recommend using stuff like artificial bark? I know that it doesn't help to heal an already damaged tree but I was wondering if it would help from any insect and diseases getting into the wound... anymore tips would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to save this tree if I can.

Also would anyone recommend using stuff like artificial bark? I know that it doesn't help to heal an already damaged tree but I was wondering if it would help from any insect and diseases getting into the wound... anymore tips would be greatly appreciated. I'd love to save this tree if I can.
I think first you have to get to the root of the problem. ;)
From what I've read on other threads, the bugs appear after the damage, to munch the dead wood.
Seriously, get all that mulch away from the base of the trunk.
Then post another photo.

This is what the base of your tree should look like
1634082579130.png

Not this

girdled-tree-roots-Central-Texas-Gardener.jpg

Leaf blotch
Frost crack
Very common on horse chestnut.
Ah! I thought it was leaf blight. Thanks for the tip. I’m glad to know it’s mostly an aesthetic disease.

Edit: I think leaf blight and blotch might be the same thing. I'm a newbie. Please spare me haha

UPDATE!!

I figured I should come back and post an update.. I took the advice to get rid of the mulch volcano and here was the end result. It was about 4 inches of soil and mulch removed from around the tree base before I could see the beginning of the root flare. I did not want to expose the root flare as I am worried about it's first winter being more exposed than the last but this is what I accomplished. Does anyone have an words of advice?

I added a before + after for reference photos.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Allie

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_9225.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9225.jpg
    629.1 KB · Views: 8
  • thumbnail_IMG_9235.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_9235.jpg
    666.3 KB · Views: 9
Good job!
I think I see a lot of surface feeder roots and the beginning of some root flare?
I would gently dig the soil away that's close to the trunk, maybe 6" out and 6" deep, and see what's there.
You may want to wait for a pro to reply though.
thumbnail_IMG_9235.jpg

Latest posts

Back