Cracked fuel tank on a 064 turns into...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Patrick62

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Somewhere in my cobwebs I knew there are differences between a 064 and a 066.
Now, I will know it real good. 20210525_062850.jpg
The fuel tank developed a huge crack, so I ordered a relatively inexpensive (no doubt china) tank for the thing. Went to swap it all out yesterday, and all was going well until... the filter base don't fit. Oh yea... narrow body 064, wide body 066.
But, I can't give up on the thing! This saw is the blocking animal!!

Next is to order the correct filter base for the thing, and I might as well switch the carb out for the compensated one since that is what the filter base is setup for.
It will work, it is just a few more $$.

The "spare" parts will be used to keep the other 064 going (I pulled it outta the shed, has not been run in YEARS!)

The fun never ends with these does it?

064/066 always seem to be a can of worms. Where I think you will have a problem is to make the tank work you will have to change the carb box, Air Filter base, and air filter cover and then it will not match the top cover or starter. Changing the top cover is easy enough but the starter is a problem because the only one that fits the top cover and tank does not fit the cases and flywheel. The only starter that fits the cases and flywheel does not fit the top cover or tank now they will work with each other but they do not line up or fit properly. Just wanted to give you a heads up before you get too deep I've been down this road and finally gave way a whole box of Parts a couple of months ago that I bought trying to make everything fit properly

Yep. That is exactly what I am seeing here.
However, my starter works fine. The top cover is ok, the engine case is (mostly) ok. Piston and cylinder are in fantastic shape.
So, the lines won't line up... Not making a beauty here, just a functional and reliable saw.

Like I said, I have Arnold's old 064 that could actually use some of the parts from this one... I might be able to keep it more or less "stock"

Yep. That is exactly what I am seeing here.
However, my starter works fine. The top cover is ok, the engine case is (mostly) ok. Piston and cylinder are in fantastic shape.
So, the lines won't line up... Not making a beauty here, just a functional and reliable saw.

Like I said, I have Arnold's old 064 that could actually use some of the parts from this one... I might be able to keep it more or less "stock"
The only thing you will have to watch is because of the wider tank and air filter box it hangs over so occasionally I would knock my Knuckles on it while starting it. I have an IPL for the 064, MS660 and I think a 066 if they will help send your email and I'll send them

Well... to be honest, I am a Stihl silver tech, and have access to all that at the store.

Way way, back in the day when it first arrived... the 064, I didn't even know what it was until I cleaned some of it up. Found the shorted kill switch, and it run! Then played around with it for a little bit, and learned this is why they like a large saw....

I also have a 066, and comparing the two, the 064 is a touch narrower... otherwise the same, pretty close. The 066 will out "pull" it, but not by much.

Back