Craftsman 3.7PS Clutch Alternatives

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jagerk

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have an old Craftsman 3.7PS chainsaw (Roper made) that I need to find a clutch for. Since the saw is quite old and replacement parts are not made anymore so was wondering if anyone knows of any options for an alternative replacement clutch. I have been able to get the old clutch off, but don't have a way to measure the thread size and pitch. Looking for any info on chainsaw clutches for this saw to keep this old boy running.
If there are also alternatives for the drum and sprocket would also appreciate that info.
Thanks in advance.

Found a thread pitch gauge from my tap and die set and found that the tread pitch of the shaft is 14 in SAE and the metric equivalent is 1.75. The diameter of the shaft is 7/16 inch or 11mm. Wonder if anyone could measure some of their chainsaw clutch parts and see if it matches these specs.

Can you find the Roper model number tag? Unfortunately they mostly were on a little sticker somewhere on the bottom of the saw.
Could not find a model number tag for Roper. But since it is a Craftsman found the model number for that: 917.351480 or 490, last 3 digits determined the bar size.

Look up the part number of that clutch.
So doing some quick searches on replacement part sites (ereplacement, searspartsdirect) I could not find anything for my specific model number. But I did find what looks to be pretty close to what I have in pictures at least, the sites say the parts are not made anymore. The model number for the part is: #632A137, I think this part is built of of the following parts, #632A133 (hub), #632A183 (Clutch Pads), #8473H1 (Clutch Spring). The main part that is broken is the 4 clutch pads, so if there was a way to just get those I might be able to figure out how to replace them.
Do you have some sites special sites for parts look up I could use to verify this?

That's the problem with saws that old. A few parts to fix it can cost more than you paid for the saw. Often it is worthwhile to find another older junk saw to buy for the parts, but it really helps to know what you need first.

Back