Craftsman/ Husqvarna 50cc 20 inch Chainsaw Air Filter Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobbed06

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello all, New Guy here!

I did a quick search online and found your forum, so first off thanks for having me.

I recently bought a new Craftsman 50cc 20 inch chainsaw to cut down about 7-10 trees on my property, and cut it all up for firewood. I am handy with a wrench, and read the reviews and complaints with this saw. I dont think I have ever bought a new saw, blower,trimmer etc that had the carb properly tuned so I expected this would be no exception. I was correct.

Out of the box the saw called for 50:1 mix, I never run anything that lean so I mixed it at 40:1 with my favorite oil that I run in everything. I topped off the bar oil, checked the chain, topped off the tank and away I went. I immediately noticed the saw was a tad lean, so I richened the low by approx 2 hours and the high about 1 hour. The saw ran great for the next 2 days, but the lean bog started showing up at about day 2. The weather had changed drastically, as well as the barometric pressure. I also thought to myself that the piston/ring/cylinder was breaking in and also changing my pulse pressure a bit. So I added another hour on both high and low, still bogged. Once I got the saw running proper I had added an additional 1/4 turn of richness on both low and high screws. It runs like a champ now, better than ever as a matter of fact. One pull starts when warm, 2 when cold, no bogs or sounds of being lean, minimal smoke, lots of power, etc.

So before I started day 3 today, I decided to take a look and make sure the carb bolts, airbox bolts etc were tight and verify the air filter was sealing as I had read someone discovered the air filter did not seal well against the box. The air filter was slightly dirty, but when I popped it out I noticed there is NO rubber seal in between the filter channel and the airbox? So I took some q Tips and swabbed out the airbox, choke flap, and throttle flap and there was a very slight amount of fine dirt/dust that made its way past the filter or the seal. I was going to use RTV silicone to seal the filter to the box then I changed my mind and decided to use grease, as this is something we commonly do on our dirt bikes.

I spent all day today cutting wood, and the saw runs flawless.

This brings me to my 3 questions.

1. I thought this Craftsman Pro 50cc saw was a Poulan Pro PP 5020 AV clone, yet it has Husqvarna markings on the airbox,muffler, spark plug. So which Husqvarna saw is this Craftsman?

http://www.sears.com/craftsman-50-c...SellerId=Sears&prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

2. I would like to use a better air filter, something that is a bit more substantial like a foam dirt bike style filter, or a filter with a rubber o ring in the channel. Would any of you know which Husqvarna filter fits this saw?

3. Is greasing the air filter channel a common practice on these filters? Or should I use RTV to seal it?

I can post pics of the air filter if that helps. Thank You

You can probably put a bead of rtv in on the cover and let it dry and see if that will seal it up. Dont know what the filter looks like but seems like it would have a rubber seal on it to help seal it up from leaks.

Steve

You can probably put a bead of rtv in on the cover and let it dry and see if that will seal it up. Dont know what the filter looks like but seems like it would have a rubber seal on it to help seal it up from leaks.

Steve

Thats what I thought, but no o ring in between the air box and filter. This budget saw runs great, and I know this is one of the reasons people are prematurely wearing the piston ring, piston, and cylinder. The other reason is new users unfamiliar with how to tune a carb, or how to mix fuel properly.

I will post pics of the air filter later today. I really dont like the nylon mesh type filter that is in it, and want to replace it with a more common paper style pleated filter. From what I have read here, the filter that is in this saw is a common air filter material found on Husqvarnas that are used in snow environments where filters can get wet and ice up.

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part-number/575296301/0071/358.html

I didnt remove the filter to take pics of the airbox or air filter channel yet. I only have a few more days to complete my fence line work before I go back to work, so I am really hustling to get through this work. I will remove the air filter as soon as I can get the saw cleaned up at the end of the week.

Attachments

• Chainsaw Air Filter and Saw work done 002.JPG
    Chainsaw Air Filter and Saw work done 002.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 35
  • Chainsaw Air Filter and Saw work done 003.JPG
    Chainsaw Air Filter and Saw work done 003.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 35
Second attempt at posting pic

Attachments

• Chainsaw Air Filter and Saw work done 004.JPG
    Chainsaw Air Filter and Saw work done 004.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 23
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
    1.8 MB · Views: 20
    1.8 MB · Views: 19
Sorry for no reply Steve, work called me in the day after I finished clearing and hauling off those 7 trees. I had to work since than and today I had a bunch of maintainance to do on the John Deere. The saw is still dirty and I will post pics of the q tip swabs and air filter when I check the airbox upon cleanup. I am running behind on tasks and struggling with weather conditions here in WV so its been crazy. Thank You for asking.

I did have time to give the chain a cleanup sharpening, and it looked great for the amount of wood I cut. I just gave it a touch up.

I have used rubber 'o' ring;You can buy lengths of different dia's at the auto parts store cut to suitable length & super glue the butt joint& fit in the groove, able to remove to clean.

Thats a great idea, I have never seen lengths of o ring material before......I will check the local parts store.

No problem, I know work can be hectic now that warm weather is here.

Steve

Well, I almost made through today after performing the service check list Sunday on my JD and at 4pm today my deck belt gave up on me at 68.8 hours. Call the local JD dealer and sure enough they dont have one in stock.......I ordered 2 and paid overnight shipping on them because they dont care to stock wear items for their overpriced tractors. I could just swing by Sears and pickup a belt for my Craftsman tractor, for what they charged me to overnight ship these JD belts in. Rant Over

Yep, you pay for that name. I have a rx 75 that i upgraded to an rx 85, have to buy belts from them cause no one makes JD' s odd ball sizes. Plus no one keeps parts for a rear engine JD rider either. Lucky my dealer does stock the blade. We get parts elsewhere for our old 3020.

Steve

I really needed the larger transmission in the 370, and power steering. I must say that I am not impressed with the engine power, and the belt life span for the mowing deck. I think the engines are rebranded Kawasaki V Twins. The Kohler 20HP definitely has way more torque than this John Deere engine. I have to run it wide open all day, where I can run the Kohler at half throttle.

I was running a 9hp Kawasaki ohv til I changed it to a 13hp Kawasaki L head. My Husqvarna runs a 24hp Kohler with no problems, plenty of power. Both Kawasaki have good pep to but they are the old ones.

Steve

Latest posts

Back