CRAFTSMAN S160 16-in 42-cc 2-cycle Gas Chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bladeup

Reaction score
https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-S160-16-in-42-cc-2-cycle-Gas-Chainsaw/1001239334
New house needed the yard cleaned up, never owned a chainsaw, weekend warrior. I bought the saw above (you re probably shaking you head at me!) but it worked great for what I needed for hours and hours during the summer months.

Now? Nothing but frustration. I can get it started, but it stalls. I use to be able to consistently rev the chain to keep it going, but now that doesn't work either. The air filter is clean, the chain has been changed once. I've used my own gas/oil mix and have drained/refilled. I've adjusted the little screw slightly to try and give it more power when idling, but nothing.

Any next steps advice? The premixed gas/oil is ridiculously priced, but could that be the issue? I've used gas/oil mixes on all of my other equipment and have not had this issue.

It may have burnt up already. Having to pump it to make it rev was a sign it needed more fuel tuned in...as it was lean.

May pop the muffler off and have a gander..or check compression?

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I bought it for $150...with that cost, is it even worth looking to get it repaired? I can take it apart/clean it/watch videos myself, but again, chainsaws aren't in my wheelhouse.

I personally wouldn't attempt repairs, but it's up to you... It's good experience to have.

It’s cooler now. Does choking it to get it started then warming it up a few minutes not work? They need to run a little richer when cold. You might have to riches the mixture a little for the cooler weather.

Latest posts

Back