Craigslist laughs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have always wanted to do that 'favor' for a greedy wealthy homeowner who is so arrogant to think that they are doing us a favor................
Isn't that the way it is... those with a lot a money complain about the price of labor intensive products.

View attachment 972636
So the pricing isn't bad, if you consider it a canvas for your creativity.
For the seller, it's a great deal more than you could get for fire wood.
I have posted this story before. I had a few boxes of mostly birch “cookies“ from testing a few different saws and chain. They were not convenient to load into the woodstove, so I had them in the garage to take to the compost site.

Meanwhile, I was having a garage sale, and put the boxes out front, in case somebody wanted them for free. A couple of women came up and started picking through the cookies, asking “how much?“. I just pulled the number ‘$2’ out of thin air, implying the whole box. The women paid me two dollars for each cookie, walking away like they had scored a great deal. Later, my daughter told me how much things like that might sell for on sites like Etsy.

Philbert

I have posted this story before. I had a few boxes of mostly birch “cookies“ from testing a few different saws and chain. They were not convenient to load into the woodstove, so I had them in the garage to take to the compost site.

Meanwhile, I was having a garage sale, and put the boxes out front, in case somebody wanted them for free. A couple of women came up and started picking through the cookies, asking “how much?“. I just pulled the number ‘$2’ out of thin air, implying the whole box. The women paid me two dollars for each cookie, walking away like they had scored a great deal. Later, my daughter told me how much things like that might sell for on sites like Etsy.

Philbert
Etsy yes ,but I was in Target last year and they had popular cookies for 17.00$ a peice.

As for selling wood discs, I often mean to try it, but then I forget to post anything for sale and they dry out and then I burn them. But it does seem like folks will pay a pretty good price, especially if the wood comes from a recognizable forest. If I ever manage to get my act together, I'll let you all know. :)

As for selling wood discs, I often mean to try it, but then I forget to post anything for sale and they dry out and then I burn them. But it does seem like folks will pay a pretty good price, especially if the wood comes from a recognizable forest. If I ever manage to get my act together, I'll let you all know. :)
They will sell for more if you call them ‘forest medallions’.

Philbert

There’s actually quite a demand for wedding table centerpieces for wood cookies. I made about 20 for a friend for his daughter’s wedding. Just did it for free and they were thrilled. Green wood but it doesn’t dry out long enough to split and then when it was done I don’t know if the gave them away to guests or if they ran through the burn pile

There’s actually quite a demand for wedding table centerpieces for wood cookies. I made about 20 for a friend for his daughter’s wedding. Just did it for free and they were thrilled. Green wood but it doesn’t dry out long enough to split and then when it was done I don’t know if the gave them away to guests or if they ran through the burn pile
Yes I was wondering about having to be dry. After all, cookies crack.

I made about 20 cherry cookie center pieces for my sons wedding in 2019 . I've supplied more for people who attended the wedding for a multitude of functions . $10 bucks apiece . All word of mouth sales if you cut green and put them in either wood chips or other drysectant, I like oil oil dry , they dry quick but with little cracking I'm looking into the big tubs of the silica beads for drying 20220313_101627.jpg

Philbert
They were selling I'd guess about 16" by 8" chunks of... something... at our local farm store - nothing but a maybe four inch deep cross cut on the top? Supposed to be doused with lighter fluid or something, then you had a burning log you could balance a pan on top of... for some reason... I only saw them for one season, so I'm guessing out here in farm country, nobody bit... :D

They were selling I'd guess about 16" by 8" chunks of... something... at our local farm store - nothing but a maybe four inch deep cross cut on the top? Supposed to be doused with lighter fluid or something, then you had a burning log you could balance a pan on top of... for some reason... I only saw them for one season, so I'm guessing out here in farm country, nobody bit... :D
They were probably selling Swedish Fire Logs (aka Swedish Torches). A local supermarket had them last year too. Kindling is put in the center and lit. As I understand it, in simplified form, the slots create a venturi that speeds up the air flow and serves to fan the fire. There is probably someone here who can explain the physics in detail...

They burn a relatively small amount of wood efficiently and can be used for cooking as shown in the photo. Great if you make them yourself but at the retail price of $10 that I saw, not so much.

1647204680262.png

The swedish candles are really neat. The ones I made were about 8 - 10 diameter, 16 long. 2 inch drilled hole down the center and slots to within about 4 inches of the bottom. Light with kindling in the center, or boy scout fluid (charcoal lighter fluid or diesel fuel). Burn clean and hot up the center because the draft coming in from the bottom and up the center. Actually burn a LOT longer than the same round just as a campfire. And, if it is not consumed and you want to go inside, I put a metal garbage can upside down over it, chokes out the oxygen and puts out the fire. Then use it again the next time. We have gotten 2 or 3 evening campfire times out of one round.

They were probably selling Swedish Fire Logs (aka Swedish Torches). A local supermarket had them last year too. Kindling is put in the center and lit. As I understand it, in simplified form, the slots create a venturi that speeds up the air flow and serves to fan the fire. There is probably someone here who can explain the physics in detail...

They burn a relatively small amount of wood efficiently and can be used for cooking as shown in the photo. Great if you make them yourself but at the retail price of $10 that I saw, not so much.

View attachment 973063
That may have been it - I vaguely remember, now that yo mention it, "Swedish" being involved...

However - the cuts in these were awfully narrow to insert anything burnable in - no wider than a regular bar... is that usual?

Latest posts

Back