Crane ropes/slings

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Recently I have been doing more crane removals and have started looking into WesSpur or Teufelberger's rope set ups for balancing branches. My question is what's the main difference between these and just stable braid with a dead eye splice. Based on specs the stable braid of the same diameter is slightly weaker, but not significantly. But the price is almost a third. I don't take big picks as it just clogs up my ground crew, but I hate the movement I get out of my round slings and know the rope system will be much smoother.

I have the fancy pants teufelberger slings. They are nice. If you're doing a lot of crane jobs you can afford them.

All that said, for most picks I just use the chains that come with the crane!

Like the other post says, do what's most comfortable for you. I haven't done many tree picks over 2-3 tons, which I assume would be the same for you, so a few stable braid slings are more than enough strength.

If I did more crane jobs I'd for sure go with them. I do one about every 6 weeks, only trees that can't be done safely without it. I decided to go with the 3/4" Stable Braid and if the crane work picks up (pun intended) I'll repurpose them and get the set. I like the ones from WesSpur the best right now.

Reon Rounds has the nicest crane slings designed for tree work that I have seen. I haven’t used them yet and the price is high, but they should increase production. Otherwise, I still prefer traditional crane slings from Mazzella Lifting.

May want to consider a "Qualified Rigger" class.
God Forbid if anything bad happens, someone is going to play the "Blame Game".
Estimating load, angles and tension, Safety factor to name a few, but rope and rigging inspection is a biggie.
If the OSHA guy comes calling proper/designated storage will cost most operators.

May want to consider a "Qualified Rigger" class.
God Forbid if anything bad happens, someone is going to play the "Blame Game".
Estimating load, angles and tension, Safety factor to name a few, but rope and rigging inspection is a biggie.
If the OSHA guy comes calling proper/designated storage will cost most operators.
Not only that designated crane slings need to be rated and tagged or OSHA will get you for that.

Latest posts

Back