Crash Course in CB Radios

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Loving the Ignore Feature
In theory yes. In practice it might not be straightforward. You would probably need a much better antenna, placed high up. You may also need accessories and software add-ons. It is cheap enough to buy and play with and not worry about the cost though.

You have a forum?
He used the GQRX software for the video demonstration, was able to pick up radio stations.
There are software downloads on the NooELEC site, but I don't know which one I'd need.

Click on the Downloads tab to see them

craddock

craddock

ArboristSite Operative
I run a RCI 2995 base radio putting out about 185 watts with a 6 pill amp for a total of 1350 watts. My antenna is a super penentrater 500 with the top being almost 85 ft in the air. I am 10 meter 11 meter and 12 meter. I am able to talk just about any where in the world as long as there are any conditions out there.

AFMoulton

AFMoulton

ArboristSite Lurker
I run a RCI 2995 base radio putting out about 185 watts with a 6 pill amp for a total of 1350 watts. My antenna is a super penentrater 500 with the top being almost 85 ft in the air. I am 10 meter 11 meter and 12 meter. I am able to talk just about any where in the world as long as there are any conditions out there.

This is why the FCC is taking bands away from HAM radio. Because this guy doesn’t want to follow the rules. CB radio is 40 freqs on 11 meters. You want to operate on 10/12/15/17 Meters, get a license.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

craddock

craddock

ArboristSite Operative
This is why the FCC is taking bands away from HAM radio. Because this guy doesn’t want to follow the rules. CB radio is 40 freqs on 11 meters. You want to operate on 10/12/15/17 Meters, get a license.

craddock

craddock

ArboristSite Operative
I don't want a license as the rules stink. Too much crap to go by. I don't want to have to give numbers all the time and log all my conversations and study all about the atmosphere and how to repair radios and etc just to talk to someone

TNTreeHugger

TNTreeHugger

Loving the Ignore Feature
I don't want a license as the rules stink. Too much crap to go by. I don't want to have to give numbers all the time and log all my conversations and study all about the atmosphere and how to repair radios and etc just to talk to someone
That sounds reasonable to me... not that I in the least little bit understand what you said about your set up.
I realized right away this subject it waaaaaaaaay over my head, and probably too technical for me get into... probably easier to get an electricians license. :oops:
What's your power source?

AFMoulton

AFMoulton

ArboristSite Lurker

Well, you don’t have to log all your conversations, and you give your call sign at the beginning and end of conversations.

And learning about the atmosphere and how a radio skip works, helps you make contacts.

And you don’t have to learn about repairing radios either.

Maybe do it right and stop spreading misinformation. But that seems to be a going theme in this country right now.

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
Well, you don’t have to log all your conversations, and you give your call sign at the beginning and end of conversations.

And learning about the atmosphere and how a radio skip works, helps you make contacts.

And you don’t have to learn about repairing radios either.

Maybe do it right and stop spreading misinformation. But that seems to be a going theme in this country right now.

You can't lump rule breakers as a sign of the times just because things seem more f'ed up right now. People have been breaking the rules for ever.

AFMoulton

AFMoulton

ArboristSite Lurker
You can't lump rule breakers as a sign of the times just because things seem more f'ed up right now. People have been breaking the rules for ever.

It’s was the spread of misinformation. Not so much his complete disregard for laws, that I tied to the times.

Woodanhor

Woodanhor

ArboristSite Operative
It’s was the spread of misinformation. Not so much his complete disregard for laws, that I tied to the times.

Imo its the age of misinformation the internet has had the biggest effect .

Information was checked better before put into print and an authors signed work meant something

Ted Jenkins

Ted Jenkins

Firewood by TJ
I bought a kit from Allied in the early sixties thinking what a big deal to be able to talk to those around. I would be lucky if I was working with four watts. I still have an assortment of crystals and a few AM radios. With a hundred watt amplifier you could walk over any body close and interrupt them if you wanted. When the amp was on you could pick up conversations for miles around then tune in to what ever channel they were on. It was kind of like a scanner. At one point I had several licenses, but just for longer band widths. At this moment I just pay attention to marine info. Thanks

sb47

Addicted to ArboristSite
Back in the mid 80's there was a guy that lived about 30 miles away. He had a 50,000 watt amp he bought from a radio station. When he would key up he would drowned out everyone for miles. He would also interrupt several channels away. The FCC finally shut him down.

Latest posts