Crimson King Maple not showing new leaves yet

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sudu

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, happy to join this site . I have a 15 year old Crimson King maple in the backyard. This year in 2022 , it didn’t shed leaves and until now there no sign of new leaves showing up as well. I am very worried about it’s health.

Any suggestions pls ?

Attachments

• 26C8457F-4BCF-44B5-BAF4-A598A51D716D.jpeg
    26C8457F-4BCF-44B5-BAF4-A598A51D716D.jpeg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • D17903BC-8658-416E-8C04-57B08EE19566.jpeg
    D17903BC-8658-416E-8C04-57B08EE19566.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 1
  • AFEE67AA-1701-45EC-9DE3-5CB41C1B97E5.jpeg
    AFEE67AA-1701-45EC-9DE3-5CB41C1B97E5.jpeg
    6 MB · Views: 0
Hello, happy to join this site . I have a 15 year old Crimson King maple in the backyard. This year in 2022 , it didn’t shed leaves and until now there no sign of new leaves showing up as well. I am very worried about it’s health.

Any suggestions pls ?
At least it’s not too big of a tree to take down.
What do you mean? It’s dead ?

Do you think anything can be done ? Like trimming or cutting it half ?

It’s planted on the soil , and the previous owner of the house tells me that it might be in a big pot underneath.

Can you recommend any Arborist who can see and do an inspection? This is is very dear to me and want to check every possible way for its revival .

Do you think anything can be done ? Like trimming or cutting it half ?

It’s planted on the soil , and the previous owner of the house tells me that it might be in a big pot underneath.
I don't see any "soil" in that picture, only pea gravel.
The tree is toast like raintree said, but if your curious enough to see if what the previous owner said is correct, dig down until you find something.
If it was planted in a pot then covered with pea gravel, I'd guarantee that's your problem, well that and maybe lack of water - And I'm just a homeowner like you, not an arborist.
But think about it - a big tree like that left in the same size pot for 15 years??! :oops: Poor thing got rootbound, I'll bet.

If it is planted it a pot the tree roots strangled itself to death. The same thing happens when you plant a tree right out of a pot without spreading the root ball or cutting it with a shovel to open up the roots. That tree died last year.

If it is planted it a pot the tree roots strangled itself to death. The same thing happens when you plant a tree right out of a pot without spreading the root ball or cutting it with a shovel to open up the roots. That tree died last year.
I agree...leaf drop is an "intentional" process. The tree was not able to do that last year meaning it probably was dead last fall.

Also, agree that it was probably "pot bound".

A good arborist will help you decide on a good replacement option and guide you in proper planting and tree care. From those pictures, that looks like a difficult site to grow a tree.

When I see a tree planted in a small gravel bed yard. The first question to ask is how are you controlling the weeds?
I wondered the same thing.
Also have to wonder if the neighbors, so close by, didn't have an issue with the lone tree dropping leaves everywhere. That looks like an inner city residential area with trees few and far between.

Latest posts

Back