Critique this stump.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So a friend bought some property and he’s having it cleared to build a house. He invited me over to cut up some tops for firewood. I am not a professional but what in the world is going on with this stump? Is this some new tree falling cut that I don’t know about? It looks to me like it has that steep leaning back cut which is totally wrong. Also looks like a bore cut in the center. I’m not seeing any hinge wood anywhere.what is going on here?????
Looks like a notch cut to me. I have never used one but they are done with 3 bore cuts first and then the 2 cuts on either side.
They are supposedly useful for a hung-up tree that you want to stay put until you pull the tree loose with a tractor or whatever.
Again, I have never used one. I have always been able to tell which way to facecut, even on a leaner.
There are times when a hanger can be a real head-scratcher!

1653598743761.png

Not impressed. Anytime anyone makes an angled backcut it signals poor technique, an absence of understanding of best saw ops.

Also, the guy makes his felling cuts way too close to the ground, down on his knee at one point. Which means that if anything goes awry getting up off that knee to escape is slow and awkward. Always best to make felling cuts at a comfortable height and remove stump later (if necessary).
Am I the only one here that has had to run for his life to get away from bees or hornets?
Leaving in a hurry can be damned important!

Not impressed. Anytime anyone makes an angled backcut it signals poor technique, an absence of understanding of best saw ops.

Also, the guy makes his felling cuts way too close to the ground, down on his knee at one point. Which means that if anything goes awry getting up off that knee to escape is slow and awkward. Always best to make felling cuts at a comfortable height and remove stump later (if necessary).
When cutting timber on a logging side when the logs are brought to the landing with shovels. We need to cut the stumps as low as possible without slowing production by flushing them so the the shovels can clear the stumps easier with out getting high centered. I often work on one knee when facing or starting a back cut because the stump needs to be as low as possible for the reasonI just mentioned. I also keep my head up to watch for danger as any smart cutter should being it's standing procedure when felling timber. Also as soon as I need to set a wedge or before I even feel that the tree is getting ready to commit, I'm back on my feet! 👍Resized_20220525_134322.jpegScreenshot_20220527-114703-853~3.png

😣 Awsome! Just Awsome! I love it! That's one of the best stumps I've ever seen! Did you find a corps or maybe a skeleton under the butt log?
No the guy lives but I did catch up with him later, he claimed his troubles were due to his cheap Poulan chainsaw and poor chain. I looked at his saw, typical Poulan Shark, felt sorry for the dude so gave him a mint 028 I had sitting around not using , am currently giving him instruction on how to use a saw and lots of felling technique, he never ever had any instruction or woods experience, city boy.

I have one for ya all,I came across this one when hiking between fishing holes,

View attachment 991324View attachment 991325
I think I know where his brother lives! I picked up some pine rounds a few years ago - he had cut down several trees on his property. And lived to tell about it also. They are scary because there was no way to know which direction the tree would fall as far as I can tell. 20190602_143315.jpg20190602_143259.jpg20181202_150727.jpg20181202_150652.jpg

I was at a friend's birthday party yesterday. I don't really do birthdays but there was awsome people, good food, cold beer, and live music at this particular BDP, so I had to stop by. While I was there. I observed some stumps the previous land owner made!

All I can say is....

...DAM.
IMG_20220604_190205746_HDR.jpg...and DAM!IMG_20220604_190239320_HDR.jpg
...😂 And DAM!!
IMG_20220604_190418280.jpg

😧 and GOD DAM!!!
IMG_20220604_190254917_HDR.jpg😂 Cut safe, stay sharp, and be aware! 👍

Back