[cs-590] Hoping for some specific B&C suggestions, the longest & most-aggressive a 590 can push :)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Those cs 400s are mean for 40 cc. Probly best bang for the buck. Glad I didn't spend the $ on a 28" bar for my 590 after hearing all the info. My stock 590 pulls the 24" bar pretty good. I didn't notice much difference between skip tooth and regular chain. Thinking the regular chain performed slightly better on red oak
The 27" bar for my 600p I will reserve mostly for running a rip-chain through logs that are two heavy for my wife and I to lift into my little John Deere trailer. The bar with a regular chain on it is heavier than the head so the handling balance feels wrong to me (and it always tips over when set down).

I used to have a nice red Craftsman (Poulan rebadge) 42 cc but the carb was often clogging and after a fuel line replacement it just didn't want to run.

My dad had a CS-400 and really liked it so I replaced the Craftsman with one. It's lighter than Craftsman and a better performer all around. Starts easy. In short, I really like it and with the 18" bar have easily dropped and bucked up to 18" oaks. For bigger I grab the 600P with the 24" bar.

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

I put a 28" setup on a cs-590 for a customer, also did the baffle mod and tuned it. It oiled it okay, rpms were harder to keep up but...it did it, buried in oak it never stalled...saw has great grunt.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

My friend recently got one and has a 30-something on it, I know he was quite confident in the setup but haven't seen/spoken with him since....is 36" an unreasonable expectation? I mean, my biggest right now - a 42cc poulan pro - I have no doubt it'd go from its 18" to a 24" w/o much issue (the 590, like all of my powerheads especially Echo's, will have muffler/airbox/carb mods) So not hard for me to picture a 60cc echo (after the ~10% it seems you get from mods) being OK w/ a 36"....but I've never owned >18" so I'm just guessing blindly, I know I can go buy the 590 powerhead from Home Depots but am gonna need to order a B&C for it, reallllly hoping it's not "you really shouldn't go over 30" on that saw" or something...anyway any specific reco's are greatly appreciated, I know the importance of b&c but have "skated by" with my 3 climbsaws by simply buying those 2-packs from walmart and putting new chains on (and hitting the rakers) it's not so efficient but it's worked...but this 590-with-30"+ bar'd saw is gonna be my "trunk-wood saw", what will allow me to really tackle an entire fat-trunked tree w/o having to call in someone to partner with me (and show up at the last 10% of the job, and ask for 50% of the fee :p )

Thanks a ton for any suggestions, the more specific the better (and explanations are appreciated as well!!) So far as I can tell, sugi bars seem best but (like Silky's) the extra quality isn't worth the $ for me, I'm cheap/frugal/whatever, been meaning to look into the Notch bars but honestly my biggest concern with bars is their weight)
I stumbed onto 590s in pawn shops. They punch higher that=n their weight class. I have run36 inch skip tooth on one,, took it off. 28 inch 93 links works very well. Can't leave them in the rain tho. The A/c gets wet and they start hard, or have to dry them,

I run 24" and it pulls pretty good. I never really ran a saw like most members here have like bigger stihls huskys jonserd and dolmars to compare it to but it feels like it cuts fast. Always wanted to try 28" but the cheap archer bar and chain combo out of stock. I bet a million bars and chains are sitting of the west coast on a ship

My 600P has plenty of power to drive the 27" chains I have for it so I imagine the 590 would be fine with the 28". It especially should be no sweat for a modded 590. Both of my saws are still stock.

You need to look at what size wood your cutting or will be cutting, determine what size bar you'll need, THEN procure the appropriate power head. Not the other way around. for a 60cc saw a 24" bar and full comp chain is pretty much where you wanna be. In a pinch in softer wood you could run a bigger bar with full skip but it's not ideal.

You need to look at what size wood your cutting or will be cutting, determine what size bar you'll need, THEN procure the appropriate power head. Not the other way around. for a 60cc saw a 24" bar and full comp chain is pretty much where you wanna be. In a pinch in softer wood you could run a bigger bar with full skip but it's not ideal.
That's how I ended up with my 600P in 2011. After an EF3 tornado tore through our area that year, my dad had a bunch of trees down with trunks 40 to almost 48 inches. My saw then was a 42cc 18" Craftsman and he had CS-400. We new we needed something bigger so we opted for a head that could comfortably drive a 24" bar and chain. After reading a number reviews and looking at prices for heads that Stihl and Husqvarna recommended, the Echo CS-600P seemed to offer the most bang for the buck new and stock. We were not disappointed.

Buy a 36 inch Oregon D176 Mount bar and a replaceable .325 tip. Replace the 3/8 tip with the 325 tip. Build yourself a .325 chain to fit the new bar and put a new rim on the power head. Now your cutting a kerf that is .050 thinner than the 3/8 chain, so the power can be used more efficiently. Baileys used to sell their brand of .325 chisel skip that will also help. Echo did this for the pulp cutters years ago with their cs-5500, and it was hard to beat.

Here in Alberta.

I have a Stihl MS392 with an 18" bar. Now an then I wish for a bigger bar. Not often. I recently picked up a Stilh MS170 with a 16" bar, and I'm wishing that I had a shorter bar on it. It's a lot lighter, and I love it for limbing, but even 16" gets in the way a lot. Maybe a 14 or even a 12.

My friend recently got one and has a 30-something on it, I know he was quite confident in the setup but haven't seen/spoken with him since....is 36" an unreasonable expectation? I mean, my biggest right now - a 42cc poulan pro - I have no doubt it'd go from its 18" to a 24" w/o much issue (the 590, like all of my powerheads especially Echo's, will have muffler/airbox/carb mods) So not hard for me to picture a 60cc echo (after the ~10% it seems you get from mods) being OK w/ a 36"....but I've never owned >18" so I'm just guessing blindly, I know I can go buy the 590 powerhead from Home Depots but am gonna need to order a B&C for it, reallllly hoping it's not "you really shouldn't go over 30" on that saw" or something...anyway any specific reco's are greatly appreciated, I know the importance of b&c but have "skated by" with my 3 climbsaws by simply buying those 2-packs from walmart and putting new chains on (and hitting the rakers) it's not so efficient but it's worked...but this 590-with-30"+ bar'd saw is gonna be my "trunk-wood saw", what will allow me to really tackle an entire fat-trunked tree w/o having to call in someone to partner with me (and show up at the last 10% of the job, and ask for 50% of the fee :p )

Thanks a ton for any suggestions, the more specific the better (and explanations are appreciated as well!!) So far as I can tell, sugi bars seem best but (like Silky's) the extra quality isn't worth the $ for me, I'm cheap/frugal/whatever, been meaning to look into the Notch bars but honestly my biggest concern with bars is their weight)
I just got a 590 myself and a 24 is perfect on it. I'd say the biggest you'd want to ever run is maybe a 28 but even thats pushing it unless highly modified maybe with a little meth juice in the gas.

I sold a Poulan Pro 380 in 2015 and bought a new Echo cs 590. I bought a 28 inch bar and chain from my dealer at the time..I've had NO problem with that bar..Here is the deal. Longer bars often do not oil properly..The Echo bar is built for my Saw and it actually pulls past 28 inches if you tighten the chain..I think it's probably reaching about 30 inches as it is..I've Cut some HUGE trees with that saw..IF I were to use a Longer Bar and chain I'd think about HOW many cutters I was running..Today I was sharpening my cs490 chain. It has 39 cutters and 78 drive links on that bar and chain set up...It handles that load BUT I had to work the bar oil hole so make sure it oiled correctly..I have not counted ( recently so can't remember) how many cutters are on my cs590 28 inch chain.. BUT lets county them ( not now, but later) and write that number on the back of my hand..So say,,, I wanted to go with a 36 inch bar, just for S and Giggles..IF I used a Skip Chain with the same amount of cutters OR some LESS my saw would be blind to the load IF I was able to make it oil well..BUT..I NEVER hog a saw.. I let the saw do the work.. I listen to the motor and know when it's working to hard and I let up on it. I don't RUSH into the wood..So asking what can a cs590 do is dependant upon how you work the saw..It's like asking what can my Piano do? I can assure with my little brown half Choctaw brother sitting on the stool it can do a LOT more than when I'm on the stool. BUT when I'm on the stool.. so you got it.. OK..It's bed time anyway..have a great day.. keep the chain sharp and have fun..

I sold a Poulan Pro 380 in 2015 and bought a new Echo cs 590. I bought a 28 inch bar and chain from my dealer at the time..I've had NO problem with that bar..Here is the deal. Longer bars often do not oil properly..The Echo bar is built for my Saw and it actually pulls past 28 inches if you tighten the chain..I think it's probably reaching about 30 inches as it is..I've Cut some HUGE trees with that saw..IF I were to use a Longer Bar and chain I'd think about HOW many cutters I was running..Today I was sharpening my cs490 chain. It has 39 cutters and 78 drive links on that bar and chain set up...It handles that load BUT I had to work the bar oil hole so make sure it oiled correctly..I have not counted ( recently so can't remember) how many cutters are on my cs590 28 inch chain.. BUT lets county them ( not now, but later) and write that number on the back of my hand..So say,,, I wanted to go with a 36 inch bar, just for S and Giggles..IF I used a Skip Chain with the same amount of cutters OR some LESS my saw would be blind to the load IF I was able to make it oil well..BUT..I NEVER hog a saw.. I let the saw do the work.. I listen to the motor and know when it's working to hard and I let up on it. I don't RUSH into the wood..So asking what can a cs590 do is dependant upon how you work the saw..It's like asking what can my Piano do? I can assure with my little brown half Choctaw brother sitting on the stool it can do a LOT more than when I'm on the stool. BUT when I'm on the stool.. so you got it.. OK..It's bed time anyway..have a great day.. keep the chain sharp and have fun..
Exactly!!

MHO. It's one of those just because you can dosen't mean you should. Look at farmtec if you need a bigger saw but don't want to pay a fortune. I am sure this was mentioned elsewhere I just missed it. I have a 590 needed a bigger saw so I bought the g388. Now I also cut virtually all soft wood. Doug fir.

MHO. It's one of those just because you can dosen't mean you should. Look at farmtec if you need a bigger saw but don't want to pay a fortune. I am sure this was mentioned elsewhere I just missed it. I have a 590 needed a bigger saw so I bought the g388. Now I also cut virtually all soft wood. Doug fir.
I run a 28 inch bar on my cs590. It’s just fine, even buried in big wood. I set the idle at 2500 (little more juice on the low jet) and it’s a torque monster. Just make sure your chain is razor sharp and your rakers aren’t too aggressive if you’re gonna ask that much of your 590!

Even here in softwood PNW, I wouldn't run much more than an 18" bar on a 60cc powerhead.

That's compared to my 034S. On paper, they should be pretty close, but several people here are saying the CS590 will eat the 034Super's lunch. If that's the case, maybe mine's clapped out, or never was as good as I thought. I've been thinking about getting a CS590 to compare. Hard to justify, with how little I use a saw.

Even here in softwood PNW, I wouldn't run much more than an 18" bar on a 60cc powerhead.

That's compared to my 034S. On paper, they should be pretty close, but several people here are saying the CS590 will eat the 034Super's lunch. If that's the case, maybe mine's clapped out, or never was as good as I thought. I've been thinking about getting a CS590 to compare. Hard to justify, with how little I use a saw.
I run mine in dougfir with a 24 inch bar and full comp chain and have no issues.

Latest posts

Back