CSM and exhaust

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stonewoodiron

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
So…… I don’t mind milling on my knees, I don’t mind milling with 95* + heat index, in rain, snow, slippery slopes, etc…. I HATE milling while sucking in what the chainsaw is blowing out. I won’t wear a respirator with my helmet and visor as it’s just too much on my face and head. I just ordered a Makita 13” battery powered fan which will hopefully keep the exhaust away as well as cool the saw somewhat. Anyone else done this? Any tips? What measures have you taken to guard against exhaust fumes?

I don't mill wood, but I have a similar problem when running my splitter. The exhaust fumes are terrible, so when splitting I run a box fan to blow the exhaust away from my position as operator. That would be my suggestion. Run an extension cord to the area and position a large fan to push the fumes away from your location.

I don't use 100LL fuel for my mix when milling.

The other thing is the sawdust from certain species of wood is toxic.
I haven’t tried the 100LL yet. Usually it’s either Husqvarna pre mixed (95 octane) or 93 octane pump gas mixed with sthil 2 stroke oil. Not certain but there seems to be harsher fumes from the pump gas.

I won’t wear a respirator with my helmet and visor as it’s just too much on my face and head.
Ditch the helmet and visor when milling. While you definitely want eye and ear protection, you do not need top o the dome protection. Switch to safety glasses and earmuffs/plugs and you should have no problem wearing a respirator, which is essential milling PPE, in my opinion. As others have mentioned, it’s not just the exhaust fumes - most sawdust is absolute torture on your respiratory tract.

A muffler mod a la BobL would likely be much more effective than a small battery powered fan. With exhaust flow parallel to the log, rather than perpendicular to it, you should be able to keep most of the carcinogenic vortex at a safe distance, as opposed to standing or kneeling in the middle of it.

Ditch the helmet and visor when milling. While you definitely want eye and ear protection, you do not need top o the dome protection. Switch to safety glasses and earmuffs/plugs and you should have no problem wearing a respirator, which is essential milling PPE, in my opinion. As others have mentioned, it’s not just the exhaust fumes - most sawdust is absolute torture on your respiratory tract.

A muffler mod a la BobL would likely be much more effective than a small battery powered fan. With exhaust flow parallel to the log, rather than perpendicular to it, you should be able to keep most of the carcinogenic vortex at a safe distance, as opposed to standing or kneeling in the middle of it.
Yeah the fan plan is: 13” dia fan on high speed at the end of the log (behind me) I’ll see how much it moves. You guys brought up a great point about the dust. I’m going to try the respirator, muffs, and glasses tonight

Back