cutting hickory

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mga

wandering
Reaction score
we dropped three large hickory trees. Back north, I've cut down numerous shag bark hickory without any issues, but moved down here to Kentucky, so i guess the hickory down here must be different. Anyway, one of the Mexicans who helped me drop it, told me i better cut it up while it's green because the more it dries the harder the wood gets. Naturally, i didn't listen and waited about 3 or 4 weeks because my northern blood isn't use to these temps and humidity. UGH! I'm out there for 30 minutes and i'm soaked!

So, i go out to cut up the trunk and i made three cuts and the chain was dull, OK, changed it out, and cut more. Same thing...just a few cuts and dull chains. I guess he was right! These aren't shag bark hickory...rather a smoother grey bark.

Question is is there a better chain to use or is this normal for hickory?

The slowest chain speed you have and 3/8'' semi chisel bit or slow 404 semi chisel bit. Go for a shallow angle with a semi blunt on your cutters. Philbert has plenty of experience with recommendations for the best performance under difficult conditions. I go fairly aggressive with the rakers so cutters dig in more and plenty of filing. Or bring about ten chains and a scrench. I just get my vice set and file away. I have considered on making a trip your way just for some semi straight limbs or trunk for handles. It is difficult to get handles for some tools. Right now I use the best Oak I can find. Thanks

The slowest chain speed you have and 3/8'' semi chisel bit or slow 404 semi chisel bit. Go for a shallow angle with a semi blunt on your cutters. Philbert has plenty of experience with recommendations for the best performance under difficult conditions. I go fairly aggressive with the rakers so cutters dig in more and plenty of filing. Or bring about ten chains and a scrench. I just get my vice set and file away. I have considered on making a trip your way just for some semi straight limbs or trunk for handles. It is difficult to get handles for some tools. Right now I use the best Oak I can find. Thanks

i have a lot of it laying there. the problem i have at this point is getting it up the steep hill. I'm getting a 4 wheel atv next month so hopefully i can trailer it up the hill.

what size branches you looking for?

i have a lot of it laying there. the problem i have at this point is getting it up the steep hill. I'm getting a 4 wheel atv next month so hopefully i can trailer it up the hill. what size branches you looking for?

For most uses I need 1 1/2''. If I have any reason to travel I will pick some material. Thanks

I also live in KY, shagbark cuts decent but I have noticed the same thing with shellbark ( the smooth stuff). Semi chisel chain for sure, good luck splitting it also. That’s about the only kind of wood that I can’t get a fiskars splitter to work on. Usually have to noodle it with the saw.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Between yesterday and today I cut over 2 cords of smooth bark hickory that was just felled 4 days ago. I used a new bar and chain and only had to sharpen once. Sizes ranged from 6'' to 24''. Seems to cut the same as pecan. Pecan cuts great but in my opinion it's the bark that does most of the dulling.
I have moved to night shift because of the heat during the day. The heat index at night is still 100* but it's way cooler then the heat of the day.
I'm just cutting and splitting firewood, I'm not felling trees at night.

I cut at night some times too. It is easy to set up flood lights at my projects during the winter or summer. During the summer hours are cut because of fire hazard and during the winter being able to have a few more hours for processing is helpful. I mostly split sort and stack using atificial lighting. Splitting can be hazardous too but with adequate light it semms ok. Thanks

I cut at night some times too. It is easy to set up flood lights at my projects during the winter or summer. During the summer hours are cut because of fire hazard and during the winter being able to have a few more hours for processing is helpful. I mostly split sort and stack using atificial lighting. Splitting can be hazardous too but with adequate light it semms ok. Thanks
My summer splitting routine is to cut early in the morning and late in the evening. Then I split and throw the splits on one of the 5 trailers I have and move it to the stacking area. I cut during daylight hours and split and stack at night. I have a covered splitting area with lights for night work. I don't like throwing the splits on the ground during the summer because a snake may decide to coil up in the wood pile and being dark you can't see them suckers. I made a rock sled for skidding the rounds from where I cut to the splitting area and use a hand dolly to move the big rounds. The dolly helps to move the rounds plus it helps to keep me from dead lifting rounds from ground level to the splitter beam. The dolly gets the rounds about a foot off the ground so it helps in lifting them on the beam.

Back