Cutting square cookies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berryman70

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Whats the best technique for down cutting squares? Is it faster to cut flat or start on the corner? I was at a contest this weekend and seen it done different ways, I always keep the bar flat. 8x8 & 12x12

Hitting the wood flat = broken things, derailed chains, stitches and band-aids.... Got that Tshirt.:monkey:

The more you can cut on the corner closest too you (both up and down) the less you drag chips through the whole cut and the faster your times will be.

Cut a 4X4 with a handsaw, It's the same process, the farther it has to drag that chip the harder it has to work. Pin the throttle and slam it in the corner (I like the close corner) then be ready to back off for the thick part and push it for the next thin part. Anybody got a vid on that?

What you guys are saying makes sense. I guess my line of thinking was it's the same amount of wood no matter where you start on it, I'll try some cuts from the corner.

Drag'n that chip is a big deal, if you ever get the chance to cut a piece of angle on a band saw, put one side flat on the table, then time how long it takes to cut the vertical piece vs the horizontal piece, not exactly the same but sorta kinda.

Pining the throttle and having it really spooled up when it hits the wood and slamming it down hard is another big deal, you can get along ways on all that momentum.

Later,

Same goes coming out of the wood, if the timing is right, you can almost bog the saw to pull through the last bit of wood esp if coming out on a corner. Just gets that last bit of energy in the momentum of the crank. It's a chance though, load it too soon and pull the saw out of the powerband and more is lost than could have ever been gained.

Shortest distance is straigt through the block, so make sure the bar is 90 deg to the block from the side and the cut should be 90 deg up and down. Put a square on the log after the last cut and see how close you get to 90 deg and 90 deg.

Cutting cookies that are 1 inch thicker at the top than the botton and 1 inch thicker at the front than the back will cost you nearly a tenth of a second on 5 cube saws doing 3 cuts in 8x8 just because more wood must be cut the 8x8 just became 8.06 x 8.06. This is esp importaint with smaller stock saw classes, longer in the cuts = more time can be found or lost with cutting skill.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back