Cutting tree stumps off at ground level chain stretches and goes dull very quickly

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i keep a e tool in my truck , for digging out teh stump. the best i can, to save my chain. i wedge stumps . there is just a certain heigth. that really is bad. i try to really flush cut , where mowers or people walking are going to snag up on them. when you get to that last inch of stump and its bigger than your bar. its going to suck.

maybe a carbide chain,, kept just for stump cutting would work. i just hate changing chains.

Just fell them at foot or so high and at the end of the day flush cut them on the walk out. Your saw(s) should be sharpened before you put them away any way.

I agree, rent a stump grinder if you have several stumps or hire a guy to do it for you. The time you spend cleaning the base of trees and sharpening chains just isn't worth it. We have a woodlot and I went one step further and bought a used stump grinder that needed some work. That machine has paid for itself many times over the past 12 years. I bet I have ground down over 100 stumps with it. I paid $1600 for it. It is Rayco 1665 stump grinder.
$5000.00$80,000.00 is not cheap & a new saw is cheaper than a grinder, chipper or splitter.

$5000.00$80,000.00 is not cheap & a new saw is cheaper than a grinder, chipper or splitter.
Renting a stump grinder is under $100.00 day and by the week is even cheaper. Older used grinders pop up from time to time for pretty decent prices. Cold day in heck before I sink a $1k saw, $200.00 bar, and $50.00 chain in the dirt for more then a tree or two.

So I have an echo cs590 and another smaller saw that I use

I do a lot of odd jobs in the community I live in and I recently got tasked with removing about 20-seater trees that are approximately 20 to 25 years old... I was really able to make short work of removing the trees and bringing them to the ground and getting them hauled off to the local dump

However, when it came time to remove the stumps and cut them down to ground level as requested I found that my saw is would dull out and stretch extremely quickly

One of the things I did that seemed to help was being more cautious to clear out the area.. my guess is that the saw bar might be bending causing a slight bind increasing the heat on the chain

Have you even tried increasing the oiling to the max and that has helped some but also it seems just taking a break and working more with the nose of the bar rather than fully inserting the bar..

It also seems that the wood down that low is far more dense than the wood a couple feet above the ground?

Some of the bigger ones are around 16 in at the absolute largest area of the base of the tree so these are not particularly large trees
DIRT is the dulling agent, so either cut at 6"+, and convert to STUMP GRINDER W/ CARBIDE, or prepare to SHARPEN/ CHANGE chains as needed.

Back