Cutting up logs from a big dirty scrap pile.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you need wood, look in the background of your picture.
If you're
just wanting to clean up the area, do a burn/bury.
Not worth the effort trying to save anything in that mess.
Someone else has already got the good stuff and that is their reject and you inherited that mess. Kinda like trying to save a dozer pile.

im with whomever posted torch that baby and have a big ole fire. you could make up some napalm with generic geletin from a restaraunt supply like cash and carry dump it on and then light it i dont remeber the ratio of geletin to gas but its something like 3 or 4 cups of gelatin powder to five gallons of gas in a bucket and stir it until it is a semi solid gel just make sure that it isnt runny or it wont work like its supposed to and will be easily flashed. when its a good gel you can pour it out and light it an it will just sit there and burn if its runny it will flash like the gas would on its own. the geletin traps the vapors and keeps it from exploding. they use it all the time in the woods for slash burning.

Personally, I'd light it off as a big ol' burn pile and sort out what's left. If you do process it into firewood, chipper chain and a chain grinder are your friends, along with frequently swapping the chain. I've included a link to a nicely-priced grinder below. I just got one of those and it works pretty well for me.
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/tls/d/purcellville-oregon-511ax-bench-chain/7277303921.html
Thanks! Learning about new tools every day! Like others have suggested I may just burn it (or do a few small burns). It's a little too close to our shed to be one big burn, but otherwise in a good position.

If you need wood, look in the background of your picture.
If you're
just wanting to clean up the area, do a burn/bury.
Not worth the effort trying to save anything in that mess.
Someone else has already got the good stuff and that is their reject and you inherited that mess. Kinda like trying to save a dozer pile.
Tho I might turn that telephone pole into a redneck Wing Chun dummy....

Really? You would crap your pants if you came around my place when the termites start flying around! I would usually pick them out of the wood along with other grubs and give them to my chickens. We also have a ton pill bugs that seem to love living in the wood. Can’t leave the wood stacked for too long or the powder post beetles have a field day! Although they seem to only really love the bay wood. Can’t be scared of bugs and like firewood at the same time! Oh and just in case it’s not obvious I’m just teasing you. I can understand not wanting to bring termites to your house. Not kidding about them flying around my place though it can get nuts. Don’t walk around with you mouth open kind of thing.
I'll share a couple good resources for free wood when I can grab the links. Helpful perspective. Thanks!

That teeny, weeny pile should be burnt, piled, and burnt again.
That would be fun. What you don't see in the pic is my shed/shop just behind me (about 10 feet from the pile). Wish they would've placed it in a better burn position. So maybe a sort through and burn pile elsewhere in the yard is still on the list.

Hire an excavating company to haul it off, and be done with it. A couple truck loads. Big burn piles are messy for a long time.
And there does not look to be enough small stuff to burn the larger stuff.
Then there is the forest fire thing to consider.

Welcome, Matt. I'm in Frederick MD, with 1 1/3 acres. I have several brush fires a year. We can still burn most of Fall, Winter, and Spring. You are supposed to get a $10 burn permit, but I never bother. I have a 3" thick bench I milled and I just sit there with the hose, a cold beer, and make sure it doesn't get carried away and try to escape it's boundaries. I'd go with several small fires. If I didn't know better, the view out to the road looks like my buddy's back yard on Braddock Mountain. On second thought, what I thought was the road, may be a white painted fence?

Back