Cylinder base gasket delete/timing advance question.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Den

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'll be putting a top end on my 49.3 cc, Echo CS-5000 chainsaw.
It is not a clam shell or semi-clam shell,... it's a vertically split magnesium crank case with the traditional cylinder/crankcase arrangement that you would find on any pro saw.

My plan was to simply delete the cylinder base gasket, and cement it together with Yamabond, or Hondabond.
There will not be any changes made to the timing, porting, muffler modding, etc.

Can I do it like this, or must I advance the timing?
Any other modifications needed, or concerns I should be aware of, when doing this cylinder base gasket delete?
Thanks for any input/advice.

Thanks for the fast response Sean.
Assuming the Yamabond would add almost no thickness between the cylinder and crankcase, I could probably do a pre-assembly with no Yamabond, tighten the cylinder bolts, and measure squish. Might give me an idea how much room I've got in there.
Don't know if there is an absolute minimum squish with this saw. I'll assume the minimum squish of .020 you suggested is the very minimum.

I usually measure squish before taking em apart... That way you have a fair idea of where you stand before it's in pieces on the bench

How do you measure squish before taking it apart?
Don't know if there is an absolute minimum squish with this saw. I'll assume the minimum squish of .020 you suggested is the very minimum.

I try to keep at .020" or so, but I recently built an 038 Magnum that landed at .016" with a base gasket delete. Not going to lose sleep over .016", but I wouldn't go any tighter than that.

How do you measure squish before taking it apart?

I try to keep at .020" or so, but I recently built an 038 Magnum that landed at .016" with a base gasket delete. Not going to lose sleep over .016", but I wouldn't go any tighter than that.
With solder through the plug hole.

Back