Damage to a Willow Oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rzieg

Reaction score
About 12 years ago this tree had some major damage. The picture below is about 40 feet up and on the main trunk. The tree is at least 125 feet tall and 5 or more people could not put there arms around the base. My question is how can I save the tree? I have been quoted $8-$17k to take the tree down, which I do not want to do. One arborist said he could put sheet metal around the wound to prevent more water and animals from entering and couple others said not to do that. Also, the tree if 1/2 on city property. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
IMG_4548.jpg

Old tear out wound looks to be a lot older than 12 years. If you get the city involved they'll remove it from a liability perspective and you won't have a say.
You didn't tell us what's the tree a threat to? Sometimes it's best to do little as possible or nothing at all. By mitigating the defective tree you're assuming responsibility for it. As a co-owned tree I would put on my blinders and walk away.
If you can't do that then some weight reduction pruning and light cavity clean out could be had, no more.

The tree is in the "right of way" of the city. We live on a through street will daily traffic in an older neighborhood. The tree in in my front yard and if it was to fall it would destroy my house as well my neighbors.

Attachments

• IMG_4608[1].JPG
    IMG_4608[1].JPG
    8.5 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG_4606[1].JPG
    IMG_4606[1].JPG
    8.6 MB · Views: 20
Only way to make it safe is to have it removed. Mitigation will not guarantee no failure. I can see 2-3 days with a crane removal crew so 10-12k is in the ballpark. You may want to engage with the city to see if they will remove it. However once they know they may require you to have it removed. Most cities only have funds for dead tree removal. You can pay for a proper assessment then decide. Willow oaks are not my favorite oak. Big tree small house, I would remove it just for the peace of mind.

Always a lot of unknowns with trees that big as to what’s going on in the roots or decay in the center but it looks healthy to me. Appears to be a limb that broke off many years ago and did not close up well. I’d take weight off the top and keep it.

The base is fine, solid. I had a company go up in a bucket and stick a probe down the wound. It went down over 2 feet before it hit hard wood. In addition there is a family of Racoons living in the wound.

Back