Dangerous barber chair felling ash infected with emerald ash borer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've seen some stump growth also... I try to leave that new growth when I take down the hazard trees... That is probably a futile hope that the "tree," really the stump, will survive and a tree will regrow from the stump. When I looked into this I found out that the new growth are water sprouts (from Epicormic buds). They are the trees attempt to increase the amount of photosynthesis in it's attempt to survive the stress caused by the EAB. I'm curious to see if any of those stumps are still alive in 2-3+ years.
Good point and great knowledge griz, I will look next time I go. Some of the shoots I believe are greater than 1". That sounds promising but every ash tree that died the stump is basically compost now, will the water sprouts lead to any type of new root growth? All our trees are in poor draining wet clay soil. But I am seeing new ash regrowth in the 1/2" to 2-3" trunk size.

I "raise" new landscape trees all the time. A poorly planted tree gets sunscalded, half the bark dies, and the tree is scarred for life. It begins to grow "water sprouts", but the main trunk continues to die off.

I cut off the trunk and leave the best, strongest sprout to become a new tree. With careful pruning, it may grow faster than a newly transplanted sapling. In the case of an ash tree, my understanding is that EAB doesn't afflict saplings too much. There isn't much cambium to tunnel in, the bark doesn't offer much protection, and the shoots are more vigorously growing, so the larvae are a bit more likely to be drowned by the host tree. This is the case, I believe, with pretty much all borers.

I "raise" new landscape trees all the time. A poorly planted tree gets sunscalded, half the bark dies, and the tree is scarred for life. It begins to grow "water sprouts", but the main trunk continues to die off.

I cut off the trunk and leave the best, strongest sprout to become a new tree. With careful pruning, it may grow faster than a newly transplanted sapling. In the case of an ash tree, my understanding is that EAB doesn't afflict saplings too much. There isn't much cambium to tunnel in, the bark doesn't offer much protection, and the shoots are more vigorously growing, so the larvae are a bit more likely to be drowned by the host tree. This is the case, I believe, with pretty much all borers.
Here's one from our property that was dying and we cut it maybe last year. Curious to see how it doesIMG_20221204_135814904_HDR.jpg

Face is fine, you just needed less hinge. A green ash is gonna chair before a dead ash. If anything, make the face deeper. I don't know how many people realize this, but once you saw halfway through a stem, structurally, it is almost impossible for it to chair. That's my opinion of course.

I use a 70-degree face, cut to 80% of the diameter of the tree. This is what we are taught in the Swedish Game of Logging.
I would ditch the GOL. Watching people pound wedges into a static backcut on a head leaner just never made sense to me.
Also the notion of cutting every tree the same way is a wonderful recipe for complacency, which kills in the logging woods.. Ask me how I know..

Back