David Bradley 5G21 Engine Identification

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn N.

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello All,
I am new to the forum and to vintage saws. I just picked up a David Bradley 5G21 hoping it has the AH 81 engine. After getting it home I am not sure. Can anyone help me tell if it is an AH47 or and AH81? I made it snort on carb spray so I know it has spark. The saw is mostly complete. It is missing the air cleaner, throttle and choke linkage. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Shawn

Attachments

• AH 81.jpg
    AH 81.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 21
  • AH81.jpg
    AH81.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 21
Your saw is a repainted Craftsman 917.60016: it's exactly the same and I think you'll have far better luck looking for parts for a Craftsman than for a David Bradley.
Bad news is that is an AH47 engine. Cannot comment the state is in but those engines were made for reliability, not performances, so unless fed straight gas there's a good chance it will work just fine after a fuel delivery system overhaul.

I had one that may have been identical to yours. It had a 404 chain and 20" bar I think. Any way I have a new oil pump and rim sprockets around here someplace if needed. Big, heavy & slow but it would cut wood like no tomorrow. I only used it for cutting up the trunks.

Your saw is a repainted Craftsman 917.60016: it's exactly the same and I think you'll have far better luck looking for parts for a Craftsman than for a David Bradley.
Bad news is that is an AH47 engine. Cannot comment the state is in but those engines were made for reliability, not performances, so unless fed straight gas there's a good chance it will work just fine after a fuel delivery system overhaul.

They made that very same saw with the AH81 engine in it as well, since the saw does not have its model number on it now,tag is missing, then the only way to know for sure is to measure the bore. The AH81 has a model number 917 .60009 and its bore is 63.5mm, the AH47 would have a bore of 50.8, considerably smaller.

Back