Dead limbs - to prune or not?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyB

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
From the perspective of tree health only, assuming proper cutting technique, can you think of a time when it would be better to leave a dead limb on a mature deciduous tree, oak, black cherry, elm. or ash to be specific, rather than remove it? If so, please describe it.

Alternatively asked, is it always better for such trees to remove dead limbs? If not, when not?

Personally, I've been operating under the assumption that, if it's dead, it would be better for the tree if I removed it and just recently started to wonder whether I was over simplifying.

I can't think of a tree health reason why it would be better if they are left.

Is it better that they are removed? Reduces time for wound closure (improved compartmentalization). Depending on "how" the branch is dead - will it peel bark when it breaks off on its own? That is rare, but the only other tree health reason to remove the dead.

Factors to weigh outside of tree health:
*Hazard reduction has to play a role.
*Quality of arborist also has to play a role. Flush cuts do more harm than leaving the dead limbs there. As does climbing with spikes. Some think they need to prune for big volume of chips and removing just a few dead limbs isn't enough.
*Client's budget is important. I would hate to see a low income client paying $1500 to deadwood a tree in the remote corner of their back yard where it poses no risk except having to pick up some sticks (better for tree health if they are left on the ground to rot...).
*There can be wildlife benefits of leaving dead wood. One example: I recently left a 3' long dead piece at the top of a box elder which the woodpeckers had been working (and possibly living) in. I removed dead laterals that could have hit the sidewalk, but left the rest.

Thanks for your reply!

Wasn't sure what you meant here: "Some think they need to prune for big volume of chips and removing just a few dead limbs isn't enough." Could you explain?

Mostly, I guess I'll continue but think twice about deadwooding that remote tree in my backyard.

Wasn't sure what you meant here: "Some think they need to prune for big volume of chips and removing just a few dead limbs isn't enough." Could you explain?
There are hacks around who must think (at least from what I can see) that just cutting a few dead branches on a tree it is not OK...they need to cut and cut and cut. Not sure if they don't know what they are doing (likely), or feel like the need to impress the client with the brush pile? Often, just taking a few dead branches off is the best thing for a big mature tree...but they chop away at the thing all day long unnecessarily damaging the tree.

Latest posts

Back