Depth gauge tool

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNfarmer

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I'm looking at the Husqvarna progressive depth gauge tool and wondered if it will work on other brands of chain? I run mostly Carlton 3/8 chain but I haven't found a file o plate yet. Will the Husky one work? Thanks!

I've never used the Husqvarna one, I use this one on all my chains.
42746746f13dfdd9b886ed690f218d3b.jpg

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

It will work on all brands. It’s really designed for full comp and they are specific for the pitch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I use the Husqvarna chain sharpener on all my .325 , ⅜P and ⅜" chains.
(You need to do a once-off widening touch up with a file & keep it separate/ marked for the .063"/1.6mm width STIHL chains)
The only reason I use a McCulloch on the ¼" Universal (same design using a ⅛" file) is because I struggled to get the Husqvarna one locally.

Attachments

• Vid-Leaner Jacaranda 191024 JAL cover_0066L.jpg
    Vid-Leaner Jacaranda 191024 JAL cover_0066L.jpg
    204 KB · Views: 22
Ive found that the husky roller guide works well on the A3 Carlton semi chisel chain, gives less hook, but works well in aussie hard wood, the progressive raker guide that is riveted to the roller guide works well too on the carlton chain.

hg3.jpg

Progressive Filing System.
This attachment has most of the instructions because it is a "system".
iow.The chain cutters must be sharp in conjunction with having the depth gauge rakers reduced to the appropriate height.

I prefer to start with a kickback UNfriendly chain, and a kickback FRIENDLY GBar nose as part of my system.

Attachments

• Chainsaw Sharpener 5052433-01 from Jonsered CS2172CWH Manual 1153687-26_0033.jpg
    Chainsaw Sharpener 5052433-01 from Jonsered CS2172CWH Manual 1153687-26_0033.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 17
Are you all referring to the progressive husky depth gauge without the rollers or with the rollers? I just bought a husky progressive gauge without the rollers And want to know if it will work with Regular 3/8 stihl chain

Are you all referring to the progressive husky depth gauge without the rollers or with the rollers? I just bought a husky progressive gauge without the rollers And want to know if it will work with Regular 3/8 stihl chain

Could apply to either type of the Husqvarna progressive depth gauge tools, or others on the market as well.

Some will not physically fit over some chains. Some might be modified to fit other chains.

As with any other fixed gauge tool, you should get a consistent result. That may or may not be what the manufacturer recommends, or what is optimal for you.

Only way to know is to try it with your chains, your saws, in your wood, etc. See how it compares to the other things you have tried.

The big point of these ‘progressive’ guides, compared to the ‘fixed offset’ guides (e.g. 0.025”), is supposed to be the cutting performance over the life of the cutter, so you really need to try them for a while, not just a single sharpening.

Philbert

I have an assortment of McCulloch branded Carlton style File-O-Plates to fit various chain sizes and types if anyone is interested.
Mark
My understanding was that those were even more chain specific than the Husqvarna or (newer) STIHL versions.

Have you tried them with different chains? Maybe Oregon chains that were identical to the ones made for McCulloch?

Philbert

Latest posts

Back