DeWalt DCM565 cheap cordless top handle?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

piciu256

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I just saw this saw on the internet, as I have the DeWalt batteries already, the bare tool is really cheap compared to other cordless saws, aspecially top handle ones, looking at the shape, it's almost a top handle layout.

So, what are your thoughts, would it be any good for in tree work? Has any of you used it? In videos it seems very weak, but that might be because of the factory chain, and for limbing I don't think it would be an issue anyway.

Thinking of getting into tree cutting business, would be nice to have a small saw to complement the ms241, and for in tree work cordless seems to be very nice, not having to keep restarting it etc. no funds for a proper one just yet.

My thoughts would be really cheap would mean it is a brush type motor and the reduction gearing is pretty light duty and the oiler on other dewalt has been known for problems on internet forums. On the other hand I believe the parts for dewalt devices can be ordered on line easy, check to see if this is the case for your model in question. If it is one 18 or 20 volt battery is will be very weak.

It is the 18V saw, no flexvolt, it is brushless though, it's not very cheap, but it is inexpensive, and it is a knownt brand at least. Good to know about the potential oiler issues. I guess I'd have to try one out, see if it is acceptably powerfull.

I got the Makita single battery top handle I believe xcu06 and it was an initial disappointment It gets taken quite often and used quite often. It is direct drive and brushless. My point was should the oiler or something else break they do point and click parts on certain websites, I have no battery dewalt stuff. I don't know what almost a top handle means.

By "almost a top handle" I meant that the rear handle is quite close to he front of the machine, (almost like a top handle saw) as in more wight put on the other hand, unlike with a standard rear handle layout where the front handle holds most if not all the weight, so that one arm tires faster when picking up and you're not able to handle the saw with one hand.

I bought a 620B Dewalt for "edgy" work, like sawing off of ladders, and some light-duty carving & such.
The saw attracted me with the fact that when the trigger isn't depressed the chain -STOPs- turning, period.
It's also pretty light, even with, say, a 6ah battery. The bigger the battery, the more it can upset balance though.
Since my upper body strength isn't what it was pre-accident, I was heartened to learn that I CAN operate it one-handed, even overhead (DON'T do that!) which was only possible because the safety button only needs to be depressed to start it turning, once it's running that button isn't an issue.
I don't know if all their saws operate like that, but it proves to be important if you expect to do odd saw calisthenics.
You can fit a flex-volt, but I don't know if it's a huge advantage, because I'm not certain that it will do anything but make for longer run time.
I bought it even after reading people complaining about how they leak oil when not in use (the ONLY oiler problem I'm aware of). But I found that if it is laid flat on the bar, it hasn't leaked a drop. And I've stored it on a piece of cardboard just for that reason, and the cardboard hasn't oil stained one bit.
I'm betting it probably isn't up to commercial use, but that isn't what I bought it for anyhow. And the OE chain wasn't impressive, although it hadn't been sharpened out of the box either. I just bought a Stihl chain for it, and although it's only a green boxed version, I'm hoping it proves a little more aggressive.
Since I already had batteries and charger, a $150 for the saw (before tax) and $18 for another chain leaves me happy to have added it to the stable.

Thanks for the feedback, I believe the "oil leaking issues" come from people who don't know how a chainsaw works, but still bought one, all chainsaws I've seen leak a bit of oil from the oiler exit channel after use.
I'd really appreciate if you chimed in how the saw performs with the Stihl chain, I'm hoping it's a bit better, and there certainly is room for improvement as the stock one is semi chisel with huge anti kickback bumpers, good thing it's a standard chain pitch.

I have an "edgy" job picked out just for this saw and it's new chain. I will be stroking that chain with a Pferd classic before employing it though.
The ladder happiness is about 30' up, and I've got some planting & adjustment for the extension ladder before I'll even attempt it (waiting for an extended length lanyard too). Might be week's end, or maybe never before that comes off. But I'm going to put a fresh edge on the OE chain too, as soon as I can determine a suitable filing guide (still not too accomplished at filing chains YET). I'll try the new chain closer to the ground -soon- and report back with my feelz before long for ya' though.

Looking at the exploded parts diagram, at least without direct comparison, I'd say that the saw I'm working with and the one you've indicated are nearly identical, except for the battery regime. I would look into a 20v version like mine if it's available to you.
I wasn't particularly impressed with the 18v battery package when a battery-operated grease gun was offered to me, and when I found a 20v brushless 1/4" impact on the roadside my decision as to my updated battery powered tool regime was made for me (Bosch was MY first choice, but now Dewalt it is!).
As I mentioned previously, I doubt the 620 is commercial quality, but it didn't cost me $400 either. I bought a Stihl arborist bar scabbard with hanging rings, and wouldn't rule out toting it around over my shoulder/behind my back to get where I need to get to. Little actual hands-on field use so far though.

18v and 20v is the same, notice the "max" prefix on there ;) it's just that US law allows for such marketing practices, or maybe it's more about legacy? Dunno, either way the operating voltage is the same, and I reckon the tool itself is the same as well, just for different markets.

Is your 18v battery more or less a flat rectangle? A U.S. 18V is a somewhat oval with a 2-3" "stem" that inserts into the tool.
Not particularly impressive to me, even if it's just the architecture. From what I've read, the oval 18V U.S. style is old school battery technology too.

The batteries are the same, interchangable etc., literally just a sticker change, the inserted stem was for the older nicad batteries and first gen li-ion, were well past that, only Ryobi still using this kind of battery system.
DeWalt been using the square slide in style since like 2012 or something.
ps. there is this joke in English that US people are dumber or something, like with the pavement/ sidewalk etc. but there has to be something to it, since DeWalt for example saw the need to differentiate the old and newer style batteries name wise in US, while they just left both called 18V in EU, realising that the "slight" size and shape difference will be enough to make them apart ;) On a serious note, it's probably marketing laws or something, here in EU they've been cracking down on misleading marketing for quite a while now, in US it seems to be well and alive, and it seems to be working too, the general populus is not interested enough to research this sort of stuff.

I have Makita cordless tools and I'm now looking at getting a cordless chainsaw for some odd jobs that one of my gas saws would be more trouble than a cordless. I would use this saw indoors, take it on camping/hunting trips and just quick cuts at work. Any one out there got any thoughts on what Makita saw is the best? I have plenty of the 18 volt batteries.

Latest posts

Back