diagnosis and treatment of possible seiridium canker in cypress

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

koza

Reaction score
Hello,

Last late spring/summer our old Italian cypress (probably over 100 years old, very tall) developed brown branches. Unfortunately where I live, I have no access to proper arborists to diagnose what exactly the problem is.

Do you think anyone could diagnose what the problem is from photos?
If I mailed specimens to a professional do you think they could diagnose what it is?

If it is seirdium canker how important is it to remove browning branches? Now some branches are browning way out of reach. Is it okay to remove in the middle of the hot summer (at night)?

If other sides of the tree that were healthy are now slightly turning brown is there anything to be done to save these sides of the tree or are will they eventually die?

The only fungicide I have access to is 35 percent copper hydroxychloride. I sprayed with this once last fall and twice this april ( as high as I could). Is this completely useless or even harmful?

Of course most importantly, what treatments can I try even though I don't know exactly what it is?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• IMG_20210715_174841.jpg
    IMG_20210715_174841.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210715_174911.jpg
    IMG_20210715_174911.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 9
If you suspect a canker the symptoms will likely be on the branch that is affected. If you could take photos of the branches themselves that may help someone diagnose

Back