"Diamond" wheel GB1115 issues.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cciesinski01

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys.

So i just got a super jolly grinder and i got the GB1115 wheel from harvesterbars with it. Grinder came with 1/8" and 3/16" green wheels and a 1/4" pink. I started with the "diamond" wheel on a chain that had some damage so if it got messed up i wasnt really out much.

I set my angles and started grinding on 3/8 full chisel cutters. The wheel almost seemed to damage the cutters and leave nothing but burrs withput sharp edges or corner. Switched to 3/16" green wheel and sharpened perfect.

What am i missing and would a continous rim CBN wheel be better? It was my first experience with a "diamond" wheel... Thanks

It's kind of disappointing to spend `$100 on a wheel that doesn't seem to be the right application. Here's a picture of it. I was sort of hesitant about the edge no being continuous but thought i'd give it a shot. It's weird that it would be marketed that way if its not really usable. That's why i was hoping i was missing something.

Attachments

• diamond_wheel_1.png
    diamond_wheel_1.png
    373.8 KB · Views: 8
Thanks Del. I used it on just the one chain, tried it on both sides and just doesnt seem to even grind. It almost looks like its tearing. Ill try it on a carbide in the future possibly. Are the Foley CBN wheels a good choice? If not, any recommendations?

Thanks Del. I used it on just the one chain, tried it on both sides and just doesnt seem to even grind. It almost looks like its tearing. Ill try it on a carbide in the future possibly. Are the Foley CBN wheels a good choice? If not, any recommendations?

Remember that carbide dust is a hazard.

I can't remember where I got my wheels, I'll take a look tomorrow.

I don't know about Foley CBN wheels. Have never used or seen one.

Hey guys.

So i just got a super jolly grinder and i got the GB1115 wheel from harvesterbars with it. Grinder came with 1/8" and 3/16" green wheels and a 1/4" pink. I started with the "diamond" wheel on a chain that had some damage so if it got messed up i wasnt really out much.

I set my angles and started grinding on 3/8 full chisel cutters. The wheel almost seemed to damage the cutters and leave nothing but burrs withput sharp edges or corner. Switched to 3/16" green wheel and sharpened perfect.

What am i missing and would a continous rim CBN wheel be better? It was my first experience with a "diamond" wheel... Thanks
A diamond wheel is for carbide chain ONLY. Use a CBN wheel for steel chain. I have been using CBN and diamond wheels for 20 plus years, they work great and hold up for years if used correctly.

Latest posts

Back